could have it killed them all?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FLITZ, Apr 7, 2012.

1. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    I worked a 10 hour day. When i left for work my incubator was okay. When i got home it was 97* and 52% humidity
    on lockdown in day 19. could they all be dead? or have I just not waited long enough for them to start hatching. im on day 21.

not a single pip chirp or anything

2. SpiritedFarm

SpiritedFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    South West Ontario
    Don't panic, i'm no expert, but i don't think that is a huge enough temp variance to have done too much damage!
    Good luck and keep us posted!

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    No you didn't kill them, it may take a little longer to hatch. One time our power went out and mine went down to 86, I think, and I was only a day late so don't worry.

4. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I didn't get any signs of life till day 22, one hatched, but died on day 23, I'm in day 24 and had one hatch today just fine. From everything I've read the consenses is after the end of day 25 then you start thinking they are all dead.

5. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    It seemed to have gone well with just a little struggle with temp ...until lockdown when the humidity and temp went way down. Funny the bator with the brown eggs...the ones that if they hatch i wasn't going to keep. . they are hatching good...but I wanted some EE and leghorns. they are all in the bator that hasn't hatched one yet :(

6. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I had two nights during lockdown that got down to 95-96, relax there is still time. I now have two knocking their siblings around in there

7. Chookydeb

Chookydeb Out Of The Brooder

We had some eggs we were hatching under a broody hen, I'd put dates on them so we knew when they were going to hatch, they had two days to go.

My mum (who has dementia), wandered up to the chook pen and collected all the eggs and put them in the fridge, I didn't realise till I got home from work about seven hours later, they were completely chilled, I raced them back to the hen and crossed my fingers - two days later they all hatched fine and healthy

We named them Westinghouse, frigidaire, kelvinator etc...you get the idea:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by