Could I « Rent A Chicken » At a Hatchery Nearby?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by greatpearl, Jan 20, 2018.

1. greatpearl

greatpearl In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2018
    Michigan
    hi everybody! I have never raised chickens (but my father has) and we want to get a few, but our city doesn’t allow them! We were thinking that maybe we could keep chickens at a nearby farm and collect the eggs there, but they won’t live on our property. It’s like a person who practices horseriding and keep their horses at a public stable.

If such a deal could exist, I would be able to visit the chicken 5 days a week as the hatchery is a town over. Has anyone ever seen/done this before? If anyone has any advice, please don’t hesitate to reply!

(EDIT) thank you for all the feedback everybody. I assume the term I was looking for was "local farm" instead of hatchery. I know a few local farmers that I could potentially whip up a deal with.

Also, apologies if I make any mistakes! I’m new :frow

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    ChooksNQuilts and Hamiam like this.
  2. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Guess that would depend on where you lived Welcome anyways does your charter say no birds ot just hens?
    Like I said Welcome to Backyard Chickens

greatpearl, ChooksNQuilts and Hamiam like this.
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Hatcheries are closed facilities to protect against diseases. So the public are not allowed on site where the birds are kept.

greatpearl, Hamiam and Latestarter like this.
  4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I have a friend who volunteers at a horse rescue. There are various other barnyard animals that the rescue has acquired over the years and she gets to visit with all of them regularly in exchange for a little work and a little love. This includes a flock of chickens, and on days she volunteers she gets to bring home some eggs. Maybe there is something near you where you can help out.

5. not sure a hatchery would be the place to look for that kind of situation.. I bet you could find an old farmer who would work something out with you, maybe in exchange for a little help.. then you would have the fun of taking care of chickens and the satisfaction of helping someone

6. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    I know someone who runs a operation like you describe. People buy shares in chickens for eggs. Depending on how many chickens, you can get so many eggs. Say 3 chickens so 2 dozen eggs every 2 weeks as an example. Or something similar.

greatpearl, ChooksNQuilts and Hamiam like this.
  7. snowflake

snowflake Crowing

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    that is an interesting idea, the animal rescue would be a good place to start. we have one near us and they have lots of spare chickens, people don't want any more. they always can use help:) and some one to buy feed

greatpearl and Hamiam like this.
  8. Hamiam

Hamiam Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Cottondale, Texas
    My Coop
    :welcome I doubt a hatchery would allow it because of bio security. But a local farmer, ranch or horse stable/property may be willing. I once spoke with someone on BYC that lived overseas. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but something about there being property set aside by the community that people apply to get a part of to raise chickens & gardens. There maybe places like this in some U.S. Cities. When you get a chance, add your location to your profile. That way it will show under your avatar & members won't have to keep asking you.
    If you find a location, there are a lot of chicken tractor ideas on BYC. That way, you could move it to a different location if needed. Have you though about fighting for ordinance changes?

greatpearl and ChooksNQuilts like this.
  9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I have seen something similar to what @AlleysChicks mentions as well. I think it was advertised as a farm co-op. People can buy shares and then pick up their meat or veggies or whatever on some sort of regular schedule.

greatpearl, Hamiam and AlleysChicks like this.
  10. greatpearl

greatpearl In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2018
    Michigan
    thanks for the welcome!
    Here's the ordinance:
    - Keeping of domestic animals and fowl.
    new
    No person shall shelter, exhibit, market, raise, harbor, breed, house or maintain within the city any animal or domestic fowl except dogs, cats, fowl or animals commonly classified as pet.

Would a chicken count as a pet if not used for egg or meat production and specifically for companionship?

Hamiam likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: