Could I be that lucky? 1 roo from 9 straigt run??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SimplySplendidSilkies, May 23, 2010.

1. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    So my older silkie chicks are now 2 to 2 1/2 mths now. I think I only have one roo in there. I keep checking for others but noone is showing any signs. This little guys developed very defined comp and waddles about 2 weeks ago and attempted his fisrt crow oh about 5:06 this am. [​IMG] (It woke me from a dead sleep via baby monitor). I am wondering maybe if he developed so fast because he is the only one or maybe he will be my dominant one. I know with Silkies it is very hared to tell, and I am not sure just yet, but imagine the luck. I went by the old farmers tale of picking them up if they fought back I picked a different chick. And I have to admit that this one chick I was on the fence about while picking them out. I still have 14 in the brooder and I am sure I have more roos in that bunch. The first crow was too funny. Like I said I was in a dead sleep and assumed at first something was after my babies. Nope it was a crow. [​IMG] I may have to put this monitor on a timer to shut off around 4:45 as they get older not sure I want to be up with the chickens if they are going to be up at 5 every morning. This new adventure in my life has thus far been so vey fulfiling. I have my coffee in the run and every night I just sit in there with them and hand feed snacks, who new this was just what I needed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
  2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] You think you're the lucky one? Honestly, I think that one roo with 8 hens is the truly lucky fellow:celebrate LOL ![​IMG]

3. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I hope that is the case. [​IMG] He is trying to crow as I type this. Too funny it is just a pitiful little crow.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Congratulations. You certainly can be that lucky. The odds af you getting 8 pullets out of 9 straight run are 9 out of 512 or about 1.8%. I once got 7 pullets out of 7 straight run chicks from Cackle, 1 out of 128 or 0.8%. I was actually hoping to get a few roosters out of that group, but we can't all be lucky.

If you get odds like that once picking out the ones that don't fight back, it can be pure luck. It really doesn't prove anything. I don't know how many times it would have to happen before you get a statistically relevent sample, but if you consistently get the same results, then there might be something to it. It is as good a way as any and probably better than some others to pick them out. Even if you don't consistently get more females, you might just get more docile, friendly chicks.

I have two Australorp hens. One complains the whole time I hold her when checking her for lice. The other is quiet and cooperative. I hatched out 8 chicks from these two hens. The chicks are almost 8 weeks old so I can tell which are male and which are female. About half the chicks complain when I pick them up and half are fairly quiet, some male and some female. Probably pure coincidence.

5. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Ridgerunner I never gave it a second thought that this method actually worked I had just heard to try it. I have absoutely no experience with this or silkies for that matter. I was just giving it a go, and honestly expected at least haf of them to be roo's. Still not 100% that I only have one roo. But mabye I am lucky we shall see. I think that would be rare. Sorry about not getting at least one roo but I think you will have a nice selection to pick from when people (who do not have the luck we seem to be having) start getting rid of all the extra roo's they have. haha

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Thank you but that was last year. I got a nice rooster from my Speckled Sussex. Out of 6 straight run SS I had 4 roosters and 2 pullets, more normal results. The 7 pullets out of 7 were Buff Orps and one of them wast actually a packing peanut. Out of 15 Delaware and Australorp that were supposed to be pullets, 14 were. I'm not complaining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by