Could I Dye my White Girls Pink in Beet Juice?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ClareScifi, Mar 26, 2015.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I thought it might be fun to dye my white hens pink for Easter. They are 3 years old. Can you see any reason not to do so? Would they be bullied, picked on and pecked at by the other chickens if I did? I was thinking I could dye them in beet juice, which is nontoxic. I saw some pretty pink hens on the Portland news today, which is where I got the idea. All comments will be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
  3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
  4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    It's probably not illegal. We used to dye an ancient white pony various colors for holidays (with Kool-Aid). I don't think the chicken will enjoy the process though.

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, I think it would be quite difficult to dye my girls. It might hurt their feelings, too. They might think I didn't think they were pretty enough as white girls. I was going to do it for Easter fun, but they might stand out more to predators. The children around here would love the look, but I imagine it would be exhausting to try to dye them. I have no idea how I would go about it. If I put them in a big bowl of watery beet juice, they might get a chill.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There's a pet safe 'spray paint' that they use on dogs.

It's pretty hard to dye feathers as they are water resistant and pretty hard to stain.
    I tried (to ID a certain bird) with blukote and full strength liquid food coloring, it didn't last long.

7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I didn't get around to trying to dye my girls hot pink, but it was a fun fantasy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by