1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Could I get opinions on incubators?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by asher, May 23, 2010.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I am incubator-less right now so am looking to get a new one. I have explained it to hubby that I cannot sell eggs from my silkies (once they start laying) without being able to check that they eggs are fertile. And he bought it. [​IMG] (Okay, it's true, but obviously not my only reason for it.)

I do not want a cabinet incubator again because 1)I do not want something to take up that much space and 2)if I have that much room to hatch, I WILL use it. [​IMG]

I am looking for something $200 or under. I was looking at Brinsea, but am not absolutely stuck on them. I do know that I would prefer to steer away from the styrofoam incubators.

I was looking at these, but would take input on others.
    http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Mini_Eco_manual_10_egg_incubator-229.aspx

(Is this basically the same as the above, but turns on its own? It says 7 egg incubator, but in the description it says that it holds 10.)
    http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Mini_Advance_fully_digital_7_egg_incubator-230.aspx

http://www.brinsea.com/products/octagon20eco.htm

I am not looking to build one or buy home made. Just a nice, good quality incubator that works.

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I REALLY like my Genesis 1588. You don't have to mess with the temp. Its preset. I just plug it in and go.. I have been using the same one for 3 years now. Not one problem. It is a tabletop model and I cannot stress enough how easy it is to use. Cost about 125. Worth every penny.[​IMG]

3. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Songster

Jul 25, 2009
    I'm using the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance (which is not really much unlike the eco) and find it to be very reliable. Basically the difference that made me go with Advance over Eco is that the thermometer is digital [​IMG] It also comes has an alarm so you get told whether the temperature has been too high or to low for any longer period of time (half an hour I think) There is also a humidity pump available that will leave you with nothing to do but candle the eggs and make sure the power isn't out [​IMG]

The Octagon 20 Advance and the Eco both come with the option of auto-cradle (external, turns the whole incubator) which means one less thing to remember [​IMG] The Mini I believe has some sort of mechanism with the tray where you put the eggs. I suspect whether it holds 7 or 10 is dependent on egg size [​IMG] ) I'm currently incubating 16 eggs in my Brinsea, and both temperature and humidity have been extremely stable (except right when I open it to candle of course [​IMG] )

I haven't tried the Mini myself, but I have done smaller hatchings in my 20 and it works fine! The 20 holds 24 chicken eggs at the most, which will leave you a wider option of how big a hatch you want [​IMG]

Now, with the 20 you can always buy auto cradle and humidity pump at a later time if you don't think you'll want it and then change your mind. I use the cradle but prefer to take care of the humidity myself.

And no, I do not get commission [​IMG]

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:I'm considering getting a Genesis. On average, what percentage of fertile eggs hatch?

5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    That is something to consider, to get it now and then get the cradle later if I want. The problem is, I need to order somewhere that takes Pay Pal and Brinsea doesn't PLUS they want $37 to ship the octo 20 and turner! Holy crow! No thanks! Will find them somewhere else, if I get that brand.

6. Keri78

Keri78 Songster

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I just bought a Brinsea Oct 20 Eco with the turning cradle. It's AWESOME! I was debating on buying the smaller ones but I'm REALLY glad I didn't b/c it gives the chicks more space when hatching. It does a great job holding the temp & humidity. I've had 3 successful hatches with it!!! I do use a digital hygrometer so I can easily glance in and check on it. Also it gives you plenty of room to do an "egg carton" hatch...which I honestly think makes hatching soooo much easier for the chicks. This last hatch I set up my egg cartons (cut out the bottoms of the egg holders) and put all of my eggs in "big end up" and let the cradle do it's thing! The cradle gently tilts them without actually moving them. Then on day 18...I added water to the 2nd trough and used scotch tape tape to close up the vent so I could get the humidity up to at least 65% and...then I just waited...and WAHLAH...new baby fluffy butts!!![​IMG] Anyway...I LOVE it...it's easy to adjust the temp & humidity...the cradle is awesome and you can't beat the price...but I would go with the bigger one...I hatched out 12 babies in it and it was TIIIIIGHT!!! so I'm glad I didn't get the smaller model. I also debated on whether the cradle was worth it but TRUST ME when you see all of the work that this thing does...it's sooooo worthwhile to just get it and be able to plop in your eggs and walk away! Hope this was helpful. Blessings, Keri

7. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Does anyone know of somewhere that sells it and accepts Pay Pal? Brinsea is like $186 w/ the incubator and turner, but I need it to take Pay Pal, wherever I buy it from.

Can I ask what your hatch rate was on it?

8. ChickFila

ChickFila Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    I saw couple ebay sellers sell brinsea products and they take paypal.
    If you plan to incubate more than 20 eggs at a time, I would recommend Genesis 1588. With bator and turner plus shipping, it would cost around $180. VERY reliable bator. If you plan to hatch small number of eggs, brinsea is good too.
    I have R-com King Suro, Brinsea Eco and Genesis 1588, and all 3 of them are good. most reliable one is R-com, because it controls humidity easy & well. Have had excellent hatch rate with them. I love Genesis because I can hatch almost 50 eggs in it.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Quote:I'm considering getting a Genesis. On average, what percentage of fertile eggs hatch?

It runs around 90% for me. The only bad hatch I had was shipped eggs. Only one of 12 eggs hatched.

10. ChickFila

ChickFila Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    With my Genesis, with all shipped eggs, 43 were hatched out of 48 eggs.
    I expected around 25 -30 chicks at the beginning, and got very surprised.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: