Could I get some Silkie experts to help me please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stormylady, Jun 8, 2011.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I would like you to look at these chicks and see if there is a possibility that a couple might be mixed with my Sal. Fav. Roo, which is what I really want, The pen has, white, blue/gray? and black silkie hens in it, the Roosters were, Black, Red, Partridge, Blue Silkies all of my hens and Roos are unbearded. And then I have ! Salmon Fav. Roo that is LF, but is rather small in comparison to my other Sal. Fav Roo. (most of the Silkie Roos were really just extras that I didn't have the guts to cull, ) The silkies came from a hatchery and the Salmon Fav. Breeders. It probably way too early, but if ya could just take a peek and see if you think some might be the mixes. I had 7 silkie Roos to 7silkie hens so the odds are against me I know. Also I know nothing of genetics (chickens) in particular, so is there a chance that I could get at least a bearded out of the mix??[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I do understand that they are hatchery birds, I think that they are adorable, but probably only PQ which is fine with me.. I love em anyway! Any thoughts as to the mixed chicks or possibly getting a bearded out of them, also please note that they all have five toes on each foot and are very well feathered on the feet (I think) which doesn't help me at all because both of these traits run in both breeds!Their feet and legs and skin are dark, but there is alot of variance in the darkness if that makes sense, thanks for all your help and comments, Sandy PS also some of their beaks are lighter also. PSS also as a side note the Black looking chick has several different colors on her its hard to see in the pictures but she has some Red/brown, and grey looking fluff. Ok one more thing (with me there is always just one more thing!) sorry, I failed to mention that all of the chicks are 2 days old except the black one, which was hatched out today, and the picture of the little yellow chick had just hatched a little bit before I took the picture she was a surprise that I didn't know was in there thats why she is not fully fluffed up in the picture. Ok I think I'm done now! Thanks again Sandy

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Anybody?

3. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Awwww cute babies! To me it's a little hard to tell because they're so young still. But I think you might be right on your guesses, but not sure.

4. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Which hatchery did you buy from? My Silkies from Cackle were actually VERY nice birds.

5. shadewolfo10

shadewolfo10 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    I have no idea but they are sooo cute!! [​IMG] good luck with getting watcha want! [​IMG]

6. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    <3ChickenForever :

Awwww cute babies! To me it's a little hard to tell because they're so young still. But I think you might be right on your guesses, but not sure.

Thankyou! yeah I figured it might be a little early yet but thought I would give it a shot.
    Which hatchery did you buy from? My Silkies from Cackle were actually VERY nice birds.
    My Silkies came from Ideal I believe. and they're pretty birds I'm sure their are just Pet Quality, Which is fine with me. LOL I don't show them anyway, just pet em!

I have no idea but they are sooo cute!! good luck with getting watcha want!
    Thankyou so much! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Well Diamond still has 2 unhatched eggs so Im going to let her keep them til she decides not to sit anymore.​

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by