1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could I hammer my grower grit

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I know, i know but i only have grower level and i cannot get to the feed supply today, i need chick so i can give mama duck and her babies something other than feed.

The supply is NOT in my town, were talking an hour round trip(yep, those are the closest) Maybe i am just nuts, could be. lol

ETa; for those unaware she cannot go outside, negative temps and snowing, they are just 1 wk old(ducklings)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I've never given grit. But is it literally all uniform in size? There should be some smaller bits in there, right?

If you have access to sand or if you can get some soil, that should be okay. I know your frozen, so how to thaw the ground? [​IMG]

I know, remove snow from area, put large pot on stove and boil water, dump boiling water on ground. [​IMG] It could work, you'd have mud at first but if you scooped some up and let it dry......

Or if you have heavy duty sledge hammer type tool put some grit in a heavy duty bag, put on eye protection and pound away. LOL

3. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you happen to have any sand (for sanding the icy spots for traction?) That would work in a pinch...

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    No, but chick is quite fine/small, grower is definitely more small gravel like.. there is even hen which i would bet is bigger. As you know mine are free ranged so only the chickens use the grit in the coop but with the weather being so pleasant, these guys are not getting out anytime soon.

The ground is so frozen right now, i doubt i could scrape off a thing lol

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I don't i usually use DE lol I am in a pickle that's for sure. This whole winter hatch thing is complicated.

6. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

I know...we've got feet of snow in my run right now. People keep saying to get some run dirt for the chicks to get exposed to coccidia (yeah, right). I've got 15 chicks on my dining room table that are going to be there for some time if Mom Nature keeps sending us this stuff! Good grief it's been a weird winter.

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Even if you have any houseplants that you are sure do not have chemicals in the soil, you could use that.

I know exactly what you mean. Even though we aren't as cold as most here. We got into the low 70s 2 days ago and we are expecting snow on Friday. It is a bit annoying.

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] I have 3 house cats, so no plants. It's ok i'll see if i can get to the feed supply tomorrow night, one more day won't harm anyone. I am so over winter, it's crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by