Could i have another roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ButtonquailGirl14, Jun 24, 2018.

1. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    hi! as of now I have 7 pullets (not counting my silkie), 1 hen, and one buff orp cockerel. I am thinking my silkie is a girl, I am wondering if it would be too much to have a silkie roo? I would love to breed silkies. would this work at all? I have heard silkie roos are much less "driven" so could I? Thanks!

4 ever Orpington likes this.
  2. MickWithChicks

MickWithChicks Songster

Jul 18, 2017
    East Coast of Australia
    If the Buff Orpington rooster is the alpha male, the silkie rooster won't have much of a chance of breeding with anyone.

The silkie rooster isn't just going to automatically choose to mate with silkie lady only. He'll be up for it from whomever puts it on offer.

If you want to breed silkies, you'd be best to have a silkie flock separate from the others.

3. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    Separate flock would be best. Also watch the Orpington if he is anything like mine he’ll breed your silkie hen. Not good!

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you only have one silkie female, adding a silkie cock/erel may be too much for her.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Lucy, you say you are in the country, that implies you have room available. I don't know how much you use, but extra room always helps. Breeders often keep one or two hens with a rooster for the breeding season and seldom have the problems many people will have you think are inevitable. One of their secrets is that they use hens and rooters, not immature pullets and cockerels. In my experience you don't need a magical ratio of hens to roosters for a peaceful flock but any flock regardless of size or ratio will not be very peaceful while you have immature cockerels. It can help when the pullets mature also if you are keeping cockerels an pullets together.

I'm not sure how you manage yours. Are they confined to a coop/run area or do they free range? How you manage them can make a big difference. Are you willing to run two separate flocks, at least one always confined if the need arises?

One issue is adding a second male to a flock that already has one cockerel in it. They are going to work out which one is boss. Sometimes that is relatively painless, especially if they are raised together as siblings or with one the dominant flock leader and the other starting out as a chick. But sometimes it can be a fight to the death, even if they are raised together. As always in anything related to behaviors the more room you have the better but even totally free range you don't get guarantees one way or the other. Even if you introduce them to each other when both are older they may work out their differences but it will probably involve more fighting, the risk is higher. So yes it is possible to add a second male to the flock, but it is an area of risk. There will probably be at least some fighting.

Another issue is that any male regardless of size is likely to mate with any female regardless of size. That happens all the time in flocks with both full-sized and bantam chickens regardless of which is the full-sized and which is the bantam. I'm assuming your Silkie is bantam, not all are. As long as they are in one flock you can't control this. As horrified as some may be at the thought, not all bantams mated by a full-sized rooster are injured by that mating. What this means is that if you want to breed pure Silkies you will need to isolate them during the breeding season or at least keep her away from the other cockerel. If you wish you can keep a few of the other pullets/hens in with the breeding pair, you can probably tell which eggs are the Silkie's by size or color.

The easy way to do this is to keep the Silkies confined into their own coop/run year around. Don't ever let the males together and don't let the Orp cockerel near the Silkie pullet. Or keep the Orp cockerel confined. Or get rid of the Orp cockerel. I don't know what your goals are or why you want the Orp cockerel, you just said you want to breed Silkies. If you want to breed Silkies badly enough you can find a way.

6. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    so.. mine are not free range, I was actually worried about my silkies size being the only bantam, I tried to raise them as siblings because I thought both were boys....NOT! I am the only person who couldn't get a roo from strait run chicks. I want my buff orp cockerel, he is sweet and someone gave him to me for free and they drove from Twisp (it took 5 hours one way) and so NO CHANCE of me getting rid of him. I could have another coop and run at some point, but I am somewhere between the ages 15-20 and I am working as much as I can to build my first run (it is huge) maybe I could use extra materials (if I have some) to section of part of the run, but I would still need to build a small coop. my main issue right now is that there was only one silkie left at the feed store and I thought two of my chicks were boys (so I would get a silkie pullet when I could) and they would be used to eachother, but they were both girls. also she is Nice quaility (as most chicks for N 40 are) but not show quaility, so it would be a lot of trouble for cheap chicks. but priority #1! is that I have a healthy happy flock!!! these are mainly my pets, but it would be fun to have some silkie babies!

BreanneRN likes this.
  7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    You are not the only one. I once got 7 pullets out of 7 straight run chicks and I did not do the picking. I'd have been pleased with a couple of males. My worst going the other way was when I hatched 14 cockerels out of 18 chicks. It's just odds, sometimes they are with us, sometimes not.

Anyway, good luck however you decide.

8. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Thank you! as you can see it took a lot of time to find a good cockerel, but at least I have a good one!

9. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    @buttonquailgirl, what hatchery did you use? I just have to ask...

10. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    North 40 outfitters! I got 3 barred rock sexed pullets (they don't carry most in strait run) and the last white silkie! the others (as much as I wanted the N 40 quaility) I rescued from a Terrible feed store! they almost died when I got them home, but I tended to them for 3 days and all survived!

BreanneRN likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: