could i have eaten this meatie?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moodusnewchick, Oct 29, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I lost a meatie over the weekend. My question is, should I have processed the bird before it died? The problem started Sat. night when we had rain and wind. I don't know what happened to the little one, but one of the lights in the "coop" was busted and everyone was rather out of it when I went out in the morning. This little one was the most out of it. Lots of heavy breathing, not much movement. By Sun night, the poor thing was crying. In my heart of hearts, I thought maybe sleeping under the heat lamp for the night would help. In retrospect, I could have had a perfectly sized cornish hen and probably ended the suffering the bird went through. SO, not knowing what ailed the little chick, but clearly seeing that it wasn't doing well....could I have safely eaten the bird?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    By the time you realized there was a problem it probably had pnuemonia.

I would advise you to never eat a sick or dying bird or one that died and you don't know why.

Meat birds with leg problems - sure. Meat birds with unknown health issues - no way.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I would only eat them if you're certain it was a skeletal/muscular problem. Sometimes you'll see ones with broken legs, or legs which simply can't handle their weight. Those are good ones to cull early, as they rarely (i.e. never) get better from it.

4. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    To me, any illness is an open door for another illness, so even if you see symptoms of one illness that you're not worried about, there may be another infection lurking beneath the surface due to the weakened immune system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by