Could I have hurt my chicks leg? Advice needed please any

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ldutch123, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    My 1 week old chick is favoring one leg. I noticed this when I dipped her butt to clean off the pasty butt. Could I have hurt her leg while holding her? How would I know if it is serious? Also should I be putting vitamins in their water because I know nothing about this either. But I have already lost 2 tiny chicks and I don't wanna lose anymore. The last chicks I raised, I didn't lose a one. Its no fun to lose tiny ones

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Yes you can if your heavy handed. They are babies and fragile.

3. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I'm not at all but they do get squirmy but I didn't squeeze or anything, I wish I knew what was wrong

4. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    It looks swollen. Bit.

5. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    It is possible, but there are many factors that could cause a chick to limp. Most birds learn to walk just fine with a limp, as long as nothing is broken, or severely twisted. A little bit of swelling is okay, but do keep an eye out. If it gets to bad (painful) consider putting the chick down.
    It is no fun to loose chicks, but it is a part of raising chickens. It can be hard, but try to focus on the living. In the future put two fingers under their belly, and let their legs dangle. This way they can kick in distress without hurting themselves. It would probably also be easier to take a wet soapy cloth to their butts, instead of dipping them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  6. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois

He is hoppin around

7. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois

Thanks for the help. I try to use a damp cloth it just seems like it doesn't work very well. The poop gets so crusty. When I dip them it soaks right off. I just hope I didn't push her leg onto her and hurt her. Of course I didn't see whether she was limin before or not. She could've been. She seems smaller than the other polish girls I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by