Could I Have Two Laying????!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauriruth, Jan 13, 2010.

1. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

My BSL has been laying her first eggs for six days...one a day (or so i thought...)!!!! Yea!!! then two nights ago my BO did the egg song. i noticed that some of the eggs are shaped a little different (more round) and are a lighter brown that some. could i be getting eggs from two different hens? does egg color vary in each hen? still just one egg each day![​IMG]

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    sounds like you do. I think BOs are known for having a lighter egg color too. Mine all lay light pinkish-brown eggs. I remember how suprised I was to find eggs from my new red sex links for the first time. They were so huge and dark compared to my BO girls!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    *wants to see pictures*

Mine played that game for a few weeks. I STILL don't know when my second hen started laying, but I suspect that it was considerably earlier than I had at first thought and that they spent at least a couple days taking turns [​IMG]

I can't tell my Wyandotte eggs apart, but I can tell them from my Wellies (obviously) and I suspect that I can tell them from my Javas, though since I haven't caught the Javas in the act I can't be sure. They do differ between individuals and across breeds, but they also differ sometimes from day to day with an individual so unless there's a real hallmark it's hard to say if a slight difference is two hens or one hen laying two eggs. If you're seeing a distinct difference in shade, though, I bet you have two [​IMG]

I was only 100% certain the first day I got two eggs. I now know that I have at least 4 layers (didn't get 4 eggs in one day, but I did get 2 & 2 from two groups that were separated).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. lauriruth

:/well, well, well....the black star is the only one who is squatting (love it - i can pick her up so easily now!)and the only one whose comb/wattles have reddened up. do they only do the egg song after they lay? i heard it at sundown - no egg. it was after we had had a hawk "fly-by", so maybe she was flustered and had her calls confused!

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Some days it's so subtle that I can't tell the diff between an egg laid by one of my EE hens and my black australorp's egg. They switch around on fav nestboxes, too. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like you have 2 of them laying. Congrats! [​IMG]

7. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Quote:The egg song isn't a guarantee of an egg, neither coming soon nor already here. My first layer is a silent layer; never makes a peep. My second layer belts the egg song out at the top of her lungs every morning whether she's lays then, lays later, or doesn't lay at all. She's all bwak and no action some days.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No the egg song isn't proof of laying. Sometimes mine sing just for the heck of it. But the 2 different shapes and colors of eggs does indicate you have 2 laying.

9. lauriruth

oh, goody! two laying! still just one egg yesterday. is squatting more indicative of laying? my other three run like crazy if i reach down to pet them...maybe i'm just not dominant enough!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by