Could I have two more roos???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jalexartis, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jalexartis

jalexartis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    This time a RIR and a Golden Laced Wyandotte?
    [​IMG]
    Last time, it was an Easter Egger. I have one confirmed roo and 2 [non-crowing] suspects. I have 2 collages on my BYC Page for you to peruse. In addition, I have some details in my blog. Individual pictures can be viewed in this flickr set. Thanks again for your help. If I have 3 roos, I then have a challenge. No pot for my chicks. They seem to all get along--at least now. Plus, I love the look and character of roosters. I am certainly open to suggestions. --jim

One of the RIR Pullets [I think]. They are the same age.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    They are eight weeks old? Yipes, I'd say roo with that much comb at that age. Wyandottes can redden up early but..

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    The RIR looks like my Production Red roo at 8 weeks. Can't speak to the other.

4. jalexartis

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:The RIR may be as much as 10 weeks. The Wyandotte in the picture is much redder than the other straight run GLW I purchased 05/26 at 2 day old. I suspect roo for the RIR based on size, feathers, legs, and of course the comb and wattles. I'm just not sure. Plus no crowing from them. I'd love to have a BIG pullet. Thanks! --jim

5. jalexartis

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:Gee, good to learn more everyday. The feed store said RIR. Now to read more about production reds. Did your Production Red crow at 8 week? I know they do so on their own time. Thanks! --jim

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:Gee, good to learn more everyday. The feed store said RIR. Now to read more about production reds. Did your Production Red crow at 8 week? I know they do so on their own time. Thanks! --jim

Production red = hatchery RIR. My 'RIR' from a hatchery are really production reds, if that makes any sense. Some use the terms interchangeably, but are corrected by those who breed 'real' RIR chickens. [​IMG] FWIW, my Production red/rir pullets had nowhere near that much comb at 8 weeks or even 12.

7. jalexartis

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC

Production red = hatchery RIR. My 'RIR' from a hatchery are really production reds, if that makes any sense. Some use the terms interchangeably, but are corrected by those who breed 'real' RIR chickens. [​IMG] FWIW, my Production red/rir pullets had nowhere near that much comb at 8 weeks or even 12.

Thank you for the information. I got my rir from our local feed store. So, I presume production. Now I know. They are cool with me. It is fun watching them mature. --jim

8. jalexartis

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Now confirmed. My rir is a roo.
    From my blog : Not discounting aggressive behavior toward pullets, I have confirmed Lucy is a roo. He crowed today. Now, what to do with Joan. Plus, I think there could be 2 other roos--Pete & my other GLW, I call Junior [I saw him mount a pullet]. Glad I purchased 12. I want 10 keepers, but may have only 9, including Lucy, my RIR Rooster.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Jim​

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  9. jalexartis

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by