Could I have two pullets laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GreenGoddess, Jan 3, 2010.

1. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Ok.. I have three POL pullets (Ruby, Speckles and Sweetie) I *KNOW* for sure that Ruby is laying.. However, Speckles's comb and waddles are also dark red but just a bit smaller than Ruby's.. I can tell the difference with theirs and Sweetie's comb and waddles that are still small and "peachy".. I was under the impression that they normally lay at roughly the same time everyday so now I am wondering.. There are times that i go out in the morning and there is nothing in the boxes but normally between 2pm and 3pm, there is a freshly laid egg (still warm).. On other days, I can go out in mid morning (around 10am) and there is an ice cold egg.. Now, I got home around 4am this morning (I work at a club on weekends) and double checked and there was nothing in the box.. But, I found on that was ice cold when I woke up.. So, now I have a question.. I know pullets can need some time to adjust to laying but is it possible that the two pullets are just laying on alternate days (I've gotten 18 eggs in 21 days) or is Ruby just trying to get into the groove of things and laying whenever she wants? On a side note, I do not have any unnatural light outside for them so they only get the sunlight for as long as the winter days will allow them to have... Any ideas?

Goddess [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What do the eggs look like? Are they the same shape and color? Each of mine have subtle but distinct differences in the eggs they lay.

3. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Here are pics of the first two eggs I got.. One was laid on Dec 13th and the other on the 14th (or so I thought because I never checked the nest on the 14th).. There are very subtle differences.. they are at the most a shade difference in color.. They are roughly the same size but one is a tad bit more oblong.. Since the day i found them, they've been the same.. Sometimes i will find one that has a slightly different shape or pigment but it's not obvious unless you know what to look for..

[​IMG]

Here you can see the one on the right is a bit more oval shaped than the one on the left.. It wasn't as "obvious" as it looks in the pic.. But you get the idea...
    [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

4. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    Those are from different chickens. The rounded-form and pointed-form will continue for their careers. You should try checking the nest frequently some day so you can see who's sitting, and then you'll know who's is who's.

Nice looking eggs, by the way. Very large. Is the rounded one freckled? What kind of chickens do you have?

5. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:They are production reds.. Unfortunately as much as I would love to have speckled eggs, that one was just dirty since it was on the ground of the coop.. I've been lucky though, that was the only one laid on the ground.. The rest have all been layed in the same nest box from the start.. The pic is actually very deceiving since I have small hands.. lol.. Here is a pic of one of them in a carton of jumbo store bought eggs.. I would say they are medium size right now but quite understandable for new layers.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    VERY different shape, so I say you have 2 chickens laying. Slightly different tone too.

7. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Sounds good to me!! Now, if I could just get them BOTH to lay EVERY day instead of every other day... And, I will add that when i went out to give them so oats as a treat a little while ago, the head roo did mount Speckles.. I also noticed that Sweetie's comb is starting to redden now so hopefully I will be getting eggs from her soon too.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will start laying everyday in the spring. Mine were laying just about everyday in the summer, and now they've slowed down to every other day. Some less frequent than that.

9. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    I just thought it was kinda funny that the only day I found two eggs was the 14th and I figured it was just that I didn't look for one on the 13th because I had almost given up on any eggs til spring.. And there were days that I didn't have any.. These girls are gonna make me lose my mind at this rate... LOL

Goddess [​IMG]

10. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    I think I finally have my answer!! I have been working on the coop/run for a few days now and I moved the run while my babies were still inside because I had so much stuff around the yard (building supplies) and really didn't feel like chasing my "trouble makers" (br's) all over the place.. Of course to no surprise, I didn't get an egg that day although with the schedule they have been keeping (get normally 5 days of eggs then skip a day) I should have around 2-3pm... So I went out there yesterday around noon and found an egg in the run (coop and nest boxes won't be done til today).. Then I went out around 3 and found another one!! GO RUBY AND SPECKLES!!!! [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by