Could I incubate them in my Oven?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, Mar 30, 2009.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    My oven can go down to 100*. Do you think if I added a pan of water in there with them for humidity, I could put my day 9 eggs in there until Wednesday when my hovabator get's here?? I ordered the Hovabator the beginning of last week to be here before tomorrow when I need to put some eggs in the hatcher, and when I called today to have them track it, they informed me it hadn't even shipped yet. I was going to try to make something to hold my day 9 eggs until Wednesday when it gets here, and realized my oven went down that low. Do you think it would work??

Edited to add - I have a convection oven that also has a drying capability.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    guess it would work! i've heard people doing it before. just leave it open a crack for some fresh air for the eggs.

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i dont see why not as long as you turn them and leave the door open a hair so they get ventilation
    ??????

not sure, all you can do is try it? did you order the eggs or are they yours?

4. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Most of them are mine. 3 of them are Blue Orp's I got from Buster. I really wish that my incubator was shipped like it was supposed to be and that I wasn't dealing with having to make decisions like this.

5. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    With the convection oven it circulates the air, so would that be like a forced air incubator? LOL.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you're like us, everything is potentially an incubator!! [​IMG] I don't see why it wouldn't work.

7. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    youd be ok even if it is still air. i have a still air no fan and my last hatch was great

8. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:yep yep! everything can be turned into an incubator! i was thinking about trying to over trick...too bad my parents would never let me! i can't wait any longer for the bator to be built!!!!

9. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    but the only thing will be the electric bill

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Is it the knob on the oven that tells you that it can go down to 100° or did you check the temperature with a thermometer? I think I would check it over a several hour period before I tried it, with a good thermometer. I saw a thread once about someone using an electric skillet... whatever works in a pinch! Good luck![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by