Could I keep a rooster with my laying hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nutcase, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to work out how to set up the flock I will be starting in future. I will probably go for Australorps, at least 12 of them, which means that at least 1 will be a cockerel. My question is, will I be able to keep him (or them)? We go through a lot of eggs so we would be eating them before they started to develop properly. It would be hard to get rid of a rooster in our area. We would be on a property of 2 acres or more, so there would be plenty of room.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It is fairly common to keep a rooster with a flock of laying hens and there is no problem eating fertile eggs. If the eggs are not kept at a consistent high temperature, either under a broody hen or in a incubator, they will never develop into a baby bird so you do not need to worry about that unless you see one of your birds go broody and then you can separate her from the flock. If you collect regularly and keep under 85 degrees you do not even have to eat them quickly -- there is no risk of a surprise fetus. If you plan on selling your eggs some people do not like buying fertile eggs so that may be something to consider but otherwise I think it sounds great.

Good luck!

3. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Thanks for posting, yes we would collect the eggs daily and refridgerate them until breakfast time, as we have always done with fresh eggs. It is unlikely that we would sell the eggs - our family would easily eat them all quickly enough!

Any other comments welcome!

4. I keep my boys with laying hens it's all fine! You can keep the roosters. Black Australorps are a great choice!
    [​IMG]Australorps Rule!!!
    Well you can keep roosters with laying hens!
    Good Luck!

5. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Awesome! Thanks for posting.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've had roosters with my layers for 20 years and never had a nasty surprise.

7. bluegrasslady

bluegrasslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Auburn ky
    If you are going for the black australorps- you may want to avoid mmm hatchery. The roosters I ended up with from their chicks were MEAN, like have to hit with a shovel, MEAN. I have also heard of others mentioning they have had some aggression problems in their line of black australorps. Please understand I am not disparaging them as a hatchery. I have had good service from them and have been pleased with my partridge rocks I got from them.

8. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I understand, and thank you for your advice. Hopefully I will be able to acquire some Australorp chicks from a local breeder, instead of having to ship them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by