Could I make this my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by thomp119, May 15, 2010.

1. thomp119

thomp119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    North Tustin, CA
    I was wondering if I could make this my mini-coop? If so, how would I attach a run to it?

[​IMG]

The dimensions are: (46.5"L x 24"W x 34.5"H).. it sells for 169.00 at petsmart

Petsmart has a run to add on to it... its dimensions are: (40"L x 43.5"W x 32.5"H)... but it is 169.00 on top of the 169.00 for a GRAND total of 338.00 plus tax

Is that suitable for 2 bantams?

If I buy it... and make a run (that could be bigger and cheaper) would it be good or mickey mouse looking?

Any ideas? Any input would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    I bought something similar for my chooks, I didnt know better. It helped me with immediate housing issues - though I don't think it is very secure, but I have no predator issues here.
    I think now I would have a go at building and/or looking at ebay for a bargain.
    [​IMG]

3. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

It might work, but for close to the same money you could build a lot more space.

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    With those measurements, I believe with the rule of 4 square feet per bird, you would only be able to fit 2 birds in there.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    TSC sells it for $99. I have one similar and I use it for a brooder.

6. thomp119

Feb 11, 2010
    North Tustin, CA
    Anabella, do you know of a good ebay seller I could use?

7. TXmommy

TXmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2010
    Texas
    I bought that hutch for my bunny...it doesn't stand up to weather at all, it is poorly/cheaply made... we just trashed it and only had it about a year.

8. thomp119

Feb 11, 2010
    North Tustin, CA
    Quote:Where are you located? I am in Southern California where there aren't any extreme weather conditions. 40 is our low in the winter and 100 is the hottest in the summer

9. chknlitl

chknlitl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Northwest Florida
    I built my coop for $50.00. Its 4'w x 6'L x 6' tall with a walk in door. The enclosed area is 3' off the ground with plenty of space not including 3- 15" x 15" nesting boxes that hang outside the coop for easy egg acces. They have the entire bottom of coop to run around. I havent got it all painted yet, and just nailed piece of plywood on for roof until i get trusses bulit and ridge vent. I went to local non-chain lumber companies and asked where the stuff is they were going to throw away and offered pennies on the dollar for the lumber. It would cost the lumber company more money to throw it out in the dumpster. I got about 20- 8' treated 2x4 for almost $15.00. I got the plywood the same way. Some of the boards were not straight but if you plan your cuts on the wood and use a little analytical mindset you can make them work. I also went to our local restore found some useful items there. Hardware cloth is cheaper than metal wire. I used left over screws and nails i had saved from previous jobs and used paint left over from my when i painted my sons room ( red and white interior exterior paint). Its not an english mansion but it looks good enough for a well manicured back yard in a curb and gutter neighborhood. So dont buy that junUk at petsmart. I need a few more things and maybe $20.00 more and i will have the same coop that somone spent a few hundred dollars on. And it will last for a long time.

10. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    thomp119 - I couldn't advise on ebay seller as I live in Oz, not relevant and too far from you![​IMG]
    But when buying I always look at how much stuff they have sold and what their ratings are, distance to me etc, and make a decision from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by