Could I show my Barred Rock cockerel?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1maria100, Aug 4, 2011.

1. 1maria100

1maria100 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    I have a very handsome Barred Rock boy who I'd love to show. He is about 16 weeks old right now, and is already crowing! The only problem is that two of his toes are crooked, one being much worse than the other. He's had this ever since he was a baby and my guess is that he stayed in his egg too long. If I show him, it will be in 4-H (So I'm sure they aren't as strict) but still I'm thinking it may be a disqualification. Here are some pictures:

Right Foot
    [​IMG]

Left Foot
    [​IMG]

And Him!
    [​IMG]

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I hate to bear bad news, but I think you shouldn't show him. The toes will keep him from doing well, even if he isn't disqualified (That will depend on the judge probably.). Also, his tail is not right (it looks like he has "squirrel tail", so more deductions there. In my humble opinion as a person who shows poultry, it wouldn't be worth taking him to the show. You could use him for showmanship competition, if the show does that.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It really matters on what you expect from showing, if it's just for the experience and fun...... fine go ahead, but if it is to truly do well then perhaps he isn't the best prospect, I don't like to judge anothers birds but he has a few other faults that will prevent him from doing well. Good wishes whatever you decide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by