1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

could I use an old bath tub as a brooder?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abhaya, Nov 8, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I found an old bathtub on a pile of junk in the woods I can get to it with a tractor load it in the bucket but would it work as a brooder I am thinking lay it on its side and attach doors do something with it to make the floor not slippery.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You may be able to use it right-side up, too, placing plexiglass over one end and a ventilated hatch made of hardware cloth in a frame. Clean thoroughly of course because of wild bird droppings and get a plug for the drain. Be sure your chicks can get out of the heat. Some ideas here, my brooder is good for 2-3 weeks only, similar design from a huge plexiglass container that used to be a cigarette display case. Scroll down past the chickie photos to see it-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-A_Brooder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  3. oldbag855

oldbag855 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Allegany
    That's exactly what I used for a brooder this spring. I put some plywood about 3/4th's of the way across the top, had my husband build a frame with screen for the rest. I used metal screen so I could lay the heating lamp on the screen or clamp it to the side when they didn't need so much heat. It worked out great because when I wanted to clean it out, it was a breeze. I hope this helps.

4. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    We used our tub for a brooder(we have 2 bathrooms). We made a frame for the top out of scrap wood and mesh. I used newspaper then shaving, all the babies survived:)

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    the tub sounds like a great idea!! once you have shavings in there I do not think it would be slippery. but I too would wash that tub very well to be sure all other animal residue is off, never know what was all over it before you brought it back to the house :)

6. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    That's what I used last spring. Didn't have any problems.

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I think I see a bathtub comming into my mud porch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by