Could I use this as a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickensXOXO, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
  2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I am. I just put a door on it. Put a small spacer between the top and the lid for ventilation.

You may decide however to add some insulation inside. I built a small cage type frame to sit mine up on, and then left the center floor peice out and ran a ramp up into it. I also put a 1.5 in dowel in it, about 4 inches up, cuz I have wierd silkies who do like to roost. I had 5 silkie chicks in it, now it only houses 3. They are comfy and happy in it.

3. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    I'm ordering the Silkies a kennel cover as soon as Christmas is over, and now I'm tempted to buy this dog house as well.

Is it tough? I noticed someone commented their dog house fell apart - but it's not like the Silkies would be too heavy or anything.

If I get it, I will have to fix it up a bit like you mentioned. Seems simple enough. [​IMG]

4. jack bache

jack bache Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    I would build a chicken pen and have that inside the pen. on Saturday it is my bday and im getting a new camera so ill send you some images of my pen. i have cages in side my chook pen and have chickens in them, and then i have rabbits on the out side and they run free AND THEY LOVE IT!!!!!!!.
    [​IMG]

5. NovaAman

I do not have mine where harsh weather will hurt it. Its stood up yo rain very well though. I have it up against a building that blocks it from the worst of the wind and snow. Also, add a coating extior paint.

6. jack bache

Dec 4, 2011
    ooooooooooo i have always wanted to live somewhere cold try and ges where i live western --------- and it hardly rains in december it is summer and it reaches up to 45 and higher in some places it is snowing. [​IMG] I mean i am very wealthy and if i wanted to move i would its just family and the kids dont want to and wife doesn't want to.

7. jack bache

Dec 4, 2011
    i meant snowing in other places and i live in australia

8. NovaAman

well, I am not wealthy enough to move, but if I were, I would still stay here!

9. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Quote:Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by