Could intoduction to a new flock cause any stress illnesses?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Parks Guy, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Parks Guy

Parks Guy New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Herriman, Utah
    Ok, so I am new to the chicken world. Built a coop, hen house and started getting chickens... I picked up two leghorns (18-24 months old), both molting from one flock, then I got a Buff Orphington (1 yr old) and two pullet Barred Rocks from another flock a week later.

I did not read about isolation until after introducing the Buff Orphington and Barred rocks to the leghorns. So now, two weeks later, one of the barred rocks has some diarrhea. It happens to be the smallest of the ladies, and seems that it is lowest in the pecking order. Also, the Buff Orphington began to molt within the first few days.

None of them are laying eggs yet. I was hoping that the leg horns, which now seem to have all of their feathers back and are looking very healthy, would have started.

Just wondering if the stress could cause any of these issues, or if I need to start checking for worms or some other health cause.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

It would certainly be a good idea to check for worms. Also, carefully check each bird for lice and mites. Stress can cause some of the issues you describe, although this time of year many hens cut back or stop laying altogether due to the short days.

3. Parks Guy

Parks Guy New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Herriman, Utah
    Thanks for the information.

I have sprinkled in some DE into their pine shavings bedding, hopefully that may take care of any lice and/or mites.

I have also introduced supplemental lighting, hoping to induce some laying, but no go yet. I was wondering if maybe the leghorn hens were older than I was told, and have quit laying altogether. I will try to be patient. I am sure the single digit temps don't help any either...

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! :)

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Moving homes, molting etc, any stress, will all stop egg laying for awhile, molting usually a good 3 months or more in older birds doing a full molt. Even if they are older, the leghorns should still lay some eggs if they are healthy. Hopefully adding light will get them started again before spring. Since they aren't laying eggs anyhow, and their history is unknown, you might want to go ahead and worm them now. DE won't do much for an existing lice/mite infestation, so if you are seeing anything like that you probably want to go ahead and treat them with something else. If your BR seems sick, you might want to post about her on the Emergencies forum.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What Kelsie said! My bet is that once they have settled in, day length increases, and the molt is over you will get plenty of eggs. Good luck.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    Welcome to BYC!

As everyone else has said, those stresses can mean the chickens will be taking a break. Older chickens also lay less often. Since they aren't laying and given some other factors, now would be a good time to worm them.

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    X2.

Unfortunately DE is not effective to rid birds of lice and mites, so check them over - or just dust them with sevin, as you do not have to worry about withdrawal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by