1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could it be bacteria???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tonini3059, Mar 26, 2009.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I candled my eggs today they are some calls and they are on day 21. I noticed what looks like an air cell on the bottom and some of the veins look thick and chunky. I tried to take a picture, but cannot get it to work. The embryo is still moving. Is it bacteria and should I let it be or get rid of them?

2. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    if the embryo is still moving, I would not remotely remove it. Very rarely do you have an egg explode. I would take my chances.

Sheila

3. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    If the babies are moving around, I would put them back in the bator. They are probably just late hatchers.

4. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I don't care about them exploding but I am wondering if it is bacteria and if they make it will it get my other birds ill? I am pretty sure one has expired i haven't seen any movement. They have 6 more days until hatch day. Has anyone ever hatched an egg with bacteria??

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    My duck egg veins get thick and ropey too. I would definately hold out.....
    Good Luck!

6. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Thanks that is a little reassuring!! I'm so nervous if they can only hold on a couple more days!! [​IMG]

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    If it's NOT LEAKING, just let it run it's course. From the outside it is VERY hard to tell and I've had ones I thought hadn't been moving HATCH. No leaks, no problems. Hang in there.

8. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    And don't open the bator the last three days!!!!![​IMG]

9. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    LOL the GOLDEN RULE!!!

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    If you keep humidity and temps even, opening the bator isn't a thing. I KNOW lots of people scream it to the rafters, but I just don't have a problem with it. Now it's probably my bator - it's not foam, and my being used to making adjustments but I stagger hatch in a small homemade bator. While one group is hatching I have eggs to turn.

My temps stay in the 99-100 range and my humidity 50-60 % and voila, hatch and turning same time. If I have to I mist if it drops below 40% briefly it doesn't do any harm. I dry hatch so I'm not trying to keep the really high % some folks are trying to keep.

I have to PAY attention but it's not all that hard to balance out. I did everything the way I was supposed to with the old foam bator and had poorer luck.

I turn three or four times a day whichever I remember to do. But I just do it and compensate.

While keeping to rules is useful ... they're not molded in steel. And getting a feel for the bator you have and what you can do and compensate for has it's uses.

Use your nogin, read your thermometer, know what your hygrometer is off by - yes most are off by some.

And keep your wits. The world will not come to an end if you have to open that bator.

I have yet to meet three chickens that do it the same way either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by