Could it be chicken stye or chalazion?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luckybaby, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    The inside part of my chicken's eyelid was pecked 24 days ago. Although I didn't see a chicken trying to peck it, I saw signs of pecking which are blood clot, and just by looking at the wound, it looks like a chicken peck it due to the size and location of the wound. I cleaned the wound and put triple antibiotic ointment on the outside part near and on the eyelid, but I didn't put any antibiotic ointment on the inside of the eyelid with peck mark, since I think it is detrimental to it's eye, and it is hard to do it. Few days later, the wound on the outside is healing normally, but the wound on the inside became inflamed, and it looks like a red bump. It is located near the edge of the eyelid at the back side closest to the tail. I can't see any swelling if I just look on the outer part of his eyelids. It feels like a soft jelly when I touched it today.

Is it a stye or chalazion or something else? Will it resolve on it's own? So far, it is only about 1/8 inch wide and it is about the same size as 2 weeks ago. Should I give him oral antibiotic? I have a broad spectrum antibiotic that contains amoxicillin trihydrate and tylosin tartrate.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use Vetericyn eye gel, or Terramycin or Triple antibiotic ointment in the eye twice daily.

3. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    How about warm compresses? I read that it is use to make human stye rapture faster.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    I tried to apply warm compress on the stye or chalazion for 15-20 minutes everyday since 6 days ago, 15 seconds on it every 10 seconds interval(so that the wash clothe is warm enough since it lost heat fast). However, it barely improves, but it didn't get worst though. I still have terramycin eye ointment that I used on my cats that had severe conjunctivitis several months ago. When I was treating them, their third eyelid covers most of their eye. I can barely see the eye on one cat. I applied it once a day, but I didn't see any significant improvement until day 10. Is the eye ointment going to work on stye? I don't think my mom wants to buy the one you suggested.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    I tried to apply terramycin eye ointment for 10 days, 2 times on the first day and 1 time on 2nd-10th day, since it is hard to do it if it is not nighttime. It is still in there, and I doubt that there is any improvement, even if I try to put it directly on it, and spread it.

What should I do? Is it a stye or chalazion right now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by