Could it be Cocci? 5 week old chicks puffed up seem sleepy Need Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Teresaann24, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I noticed some of my chicks seemed like they were cold sorted puffed up wings kinda droopy I am thinking it might be cocci? I started them on sulmet what do you all think the same thing?

2. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    sounds accurate. good luck!!! [​IMG]

3. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    I am having the same issue with no other actual symptoms of Cocci. No blood in their stools. Ever. I have lost a couple chicks so far. I have been treating for Corid just in case. I am on day 2 but all the chicks are all puffed up and tucking their heads in their chests. Some with droopy wings. No other symptoms. Everyone is eating and drinking.

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Same thing here no blood in stool...Just noticed this yesterday I thought they were just cold. I lost one just a few mins ago one of the worse looking ones. I have battled this before...These are my lavender silkie babies and I don't have many as it is I hope I do not lose anymore.

5. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    I have a few who are not looking so good now. I have dealth with Cocci before, but had blood in the stool and I never lost a single chick. I am not sure if my Silkie chicks are getting hit harder because they are much smaller and more fragile? But those were the first to go here. I have lost 3 Silkie chicks so far. They were about 6 weeks old. I also was not sure if I was using enough Corid so I just refilled their water and added more. I read on a different thread to use 2 Tsp per gallon so thats what I did. Hopefully We both dont lose any more. Keep me posted on your loss and if they improve. I wish I had used better judgement and assumed they had it before but with no other symptoms....I didnt know what it was.

6. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    It seems like quite a few people are dealing with cocci right now. My birds have it-------only the young ones-----and I am treating it with Corid also. I only put 1 TBSP per gal. of water, but didn't lose any birds yesterday------I had lost one last Weds., one on Sat., and one on Sun. These were all NNs, and fortunately I had bought 6 extras.

7. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    My girls have it too:( I have them on 2tsp Corid per 1 gallon of water. When I first noticed only 2 were showing symptoms. I've been treating since Sunday night, and now 4 of them show sypmtoms. Is there something else I should be doing? Is my dose too diluted? I'd love some advice. Everyone is eating and drinking, but at least 4 are starting to look droopy and lethargic. [​IMG]

8. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:I'm not sure there is much else to do except keep their litter/bedding clean and changed. I am treating with the same does of Corid and hopfully I wont lose any more. I lost 3 beautiful Silkies and I hope to not loose any more.

9. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    After how many days treatment should we see improvement? I really didn't want to see MORE sick chickens after 2 days. My girls are 10-12 weeks old, I think that's why I haven't lost any yet.

10. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:Treatment is suppose to be 5-7 days so I assume you would see improvement then. If I dont see improvement today, I am going to put some down every SICK looking ones throat. Maybe that will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by