Could it be molting? pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by motorboy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. motorboy

motorboy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    River Falls, WI
    This is my first year of chickening so I don’t know what molting looks like. In addition, she is only 7 months old. She preens herself and pulls out a lot of feathers. At first I thought it was mites even though I didn’t find any so I treated her with 2 powders and a flea bath. After all this she pulled out 30 feathers in 8 hours. So then I thought she pulled them out from stress because her gal pal was taken away by a fox. I tried to apply a mix of Vaseline and red pepper to stop her picking and a lot of feathers were pulling out just by them sticking to my fingers. In addition she has a respiratory and eye infection I am treating with great success with Terramycin soluble powder at 1 Tsp per quart. and topical antibacterial gel around her eyes.

So, do you think it is molting?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    They can go into hard molt and drop all their feathers very quickly...but if you say she did this to herself in 8 hours....I'd suggest you up her protein (cat food, black oil sunflower seeds, cottage cheese).

I know when they are sick they can drop/molt their feathers prematurely....so I'd keep up the terramycin as prescribed.

BLUEKOTE/REDKOTE can be applied to the bare patch to prevent others from pecking her....keep her quarantined/separated.

Good Luck...hope she feels better soon.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Not that I have any experience w/ molting yet, but given the fact that she's only 7 mos old, can she really be old enough to molt?? I thought they had to be over 12 mos old before they'd go thru a molt...am I wrong? [​IMG] Maybe she's just losing her feathers rapidly because she's really sick. I'd definitely do what cheeptrick recommended though! [​IMG]

4. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Did not notice the age...TaLani....you are right....too young for a full fledged molt.

Poor girl...hope you get her better motorboy....sounds like you are doing all you can right now. Maybe a moderator will post soon...they are very knowledgable.

5. motorboy

motorboy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    River Falls, WI
    Well she has done all this over 3 weeks. In 8 hours she pulled 30. I only have one other chicken (Light Brahmas) now and she would never pick on anyone else But I still have them separated because of the meds and this one is in the house to keep extra warm. Can you use BLUEKOTE/ REDKOTE on animals you eat and egg eat? I just started giving her some extra scrambled eggs, cat food, and vitamins.

6. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    You have her on terramyacin and you have to throw away any eggs for the next 2 weeks...that is a hard thing to do. It does pass threw into their eggs....

I have eaten eggs from chickens that I have blukoted...but others may not agree. Here is their website...you can email them and ask them.

http://www.drnaylor.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

7. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ok....you got me interested...I just emailed them. [​IMG]

8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
  9. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:I was told by many in this forum , YOU WILL KNOW FOR SURE when they are moulting when you walk into the coop and ALL YOU SEE IS FEATHERS EVERYWHERE .

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Blu-kote will NOT affect the eggs , basically bu-kote is like an antiseptic and ALSO a COLORED distractor . EXAMPLE ... others will peck and continue pecking if they see bloody area , BLU-KOTE is kinda PURPLE COLOR ..... Spray on effected area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by