Could it be seizures? Something else?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kisat, May 16, 2008.

1. kisat

kisat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    Hmm, so on top of one of my New Hampshire chicks having the sneezies which nearly made me freak out - I don't think anything is wrong, it's just mainly in the mornings she gets a little sneezy and otherwise is healthy and good. One of my bantam chicks seems to have some probs.

I have noticed that first thing in the morning when I am in my room working out - could happen during the day too, but I haven't noticed it - one of my little banties act ups. The others will knock her around while she is trying to sleep, then all of a sudden she falls over and just acts like she's paralyzed.

Other times I've noticed that she has problems standing up.

One time I noticed that she fell sideways and wouldn't move her legs, they just stuck out straight behind her body, then wouldn't move. And she was screaming with her mouth wide open. I got scared and went to her and held her which seemed to help her, she slept and took comfort and didn't want me let her go again.

Then, her little head will lay sideways and she just seems to be out of it. Her eyes may or may not be open. It's different from when she's tired and her head falls over because it just seems almost like a little seizure or something.

The thing is, besides these little 'episodes' she's fine. She eats, drinks, plays, does everything fine. Could she have something neurologically wrong with her? Will she be okay otherwise and just end up suffering from this occasional seizures?

Oh my goodness I worry about the littlest things with these guys! [​IMG] And since it's so hot here I'm overly concerned about them getting too hot [​IMG]

Thanks for the help!

2. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    Any ideas?

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

She might just be dust bathing.

4. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    Thanks for the reply and help.

I don't think so though. I've seen them wiggling to dustbathe, but this is something entirely different. When I looked up seizures I came across a q that someone asked and read the 'dustbathe' before so I thought about it, but no, I really don't think it's that.

She literally will freeze when she falls over, then after she tries getting up and walking around it is like all her movements become forced because she seems almost as if her entire body becomes stiff. That lasts a good 10-15 minutes after one of these episodes.

But thank you again for the suggestion.

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    It does sound like it could be a neurologic problem. She was most likely born with it if that is the case. Lots of different kinds of animals can suffer from epilepsy and other seizure disorders. I know dogs can have preventative medication for it, but I really don't know about chickens.

How often does this happen? Is it a daily occurrence ? Does she eat/drink/otherwise act normal? Blood sugar problems can cause seizure symptoms, too. Make sure she is eating at night if she needs to.

6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

No clue then, sorry. [​IMG]

7. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    Sparrow -

Thanks for the reply. She eats right, drink plenty and otherwise acts completely normal. It's just at these times she has those 'moments.' I didn't notice it before, but it could've been happening all along. It pretty much happens at different times during the day, but since I noticed it and have been watching out for it, it happens at least once a day. Makes me feel horrible to watch, but otherwise she seems to be just fine and happy.

Oh, and don't get me wrong. I would like to point out that I have no problem with keeping her if she does have something wrong neurologically since she seems to be happy and fine. I just would like to know what is going on to understand it better. She's very sweet [​IMG] I named her Ruby. I picked her up after one of those moments and she snuggled into me and it just came to me and fit her perfectly. She's smaller than the other bantam so she may end up being more runt sized which is fine with me [​IMG] She's too cute.

ebonykawai -

That's okay. Thank you for the help though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by