could it be the heat? hens arent laying well!!!!

traybo

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 25, 2011
i have over 50 hens that arent laying good...i get a dozen a day... I had a few with foamy eyes but i have gotten rid fo them.. however i did treat my whole flock with sulmet then duramycin 10.. Ive wormed with wazine then ten days later with pour on ivermectin.. still no improvement.. could it be the metal building there in is to hot ? they have shade trees to get under but they stay in the building most all day.. could they not be getting enough lite from staying inthere roosting building? I am so stunned on what to do... Ive done everything i no.. they are not moltin unless some of the new ones i got latley was comming out of molt , they was missing feathers but most all grown back now.. any ideas on what could be the issue on why they arent laying well. I dont thinkthey are old, they all look young and healthy to me. red cones. I feed they layer pellets everyday and fresh water i give them crushed oyster shells .. i have had a mite issue but i have been treating them with 7 dust and DE and now im using pour on ivermectin.. any suggestions???

It may very well just be due to the heat. We've been having temps of 100+ for a while and our girls have slowed down a bit. I make sure they get cool water twice a day and have extra waters set in the shade around our yard for them since they are free ranging.

The first summer we had ours, I made up frozen water bottles for them and they enjoyed that. We're living in a camper right now and my freezer isn't big enogh to do that so I just make sure they have plenty of water available.

Here's some more reading for you on How to keep your chickens cool in hot weather.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Hello Traybo,
My question is: are they getting any fresh grass or dandelion greens? If they are not free range and only have a fenced yard and
hen house and that is the only way you can raise your hens, then give them a grocery bag or two of fresh grass or greens a day.
Fresh grass can increase their egg production by a good percentage. Greens that you throw out from the garden ( carrot tops, swiss chard
but actually green clipped grass if you have any should really help.
nannynooners1

they free range on about 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre... plenty of fresh green grass id think... all but a hand few just stay in the metal hen house.. I just dont understand it at all.. they look so healthy and get fed very well.. i have tried tossing the feed onto the grass daily and then went to feeders and having contineous feed for them when they get hungry and still I see no change in there egg prodution.. the most ive ever gotten from them is 3 dozen in adays time out of 50 plus hens.. at one point I had 65 but i have gave some away .. I love my hens so much but if they dont start laying eggs for me to sale i cant keep them cuz i cant afford to feed them. they eat like 2 bags a week.. is it maybe the feed i give them.. I buy them the faithway feed at co-op.. is it not a good bran... ?? thanks ofr all you all help..i appreciate it so so much..

Back
Top Bottom