Could it be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicknduck, Jul 15, 2010.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Ok I am very new to chickens and eggs. With that being said I wasn't sure where to post this but..... I have a question. I cracked open some eggs today and one yolk looked like it had the bullseye here is a pic
    [​IMG]
    Theese are the first eggs I have gotten from my 12 supposed hens.
    Can anyone help me figure it out. All of the eggs looked the same when cracked but this one wan more dark yellow orangeish and had a white dot and a circle around it?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Sometimes you may get a spot of white or a speck of white ....BUT.....A Distinct White Dot with a Ring around it is FERTILE!! There's a boy out there somewhere![​IMG]
    All boys aren't bad....sometimes it nice to have one around![​IMG]

3. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    The are colden buffs and I thought the males were white? I do have 2 with alot of white in their feathers they just started laying at 15 weeks and that is their age now. I am so cofussed. It definatly had a dot a ring of yellow and then a small ring of white. I wish I could get a better Picture. At this age wouldn't I hear it crow?

4. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Is it possible that the one that shows a tiny bit of black on its feathers could me the male?

5. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Does anyone out there have any input on this.... please

6. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

That definitely looks like a fertile egg. You must have a rooster masquerading as a hen! *checks calendar* Hmm... not October yet...

7. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    :confused:Sneaky little roo

8. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    The solution is to go buy a rooster. Then the roo in your flock will reveal himself. Happened to me. Actually I bought TWO roosters before the little sneak declared himself. Now I have three, and two are going to the crockpot this weekend, much to my barebacked hens' eternal thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by