1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

could it help or hurt my chickens and ducks by giving dog food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TK Poultry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I hear that if you treat chickens and ducks with cat food to help protein. does the same go with dog food?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Not sure about all the extra stuff in cat food and dog food, I'd give meat scraps...

both of those things are set up for those animals- (cats and dogs)

some others I know give these 'treats' sparingly.

Really dog food is between 15-25+% (25% most often) protein depending on brand and life stage (of the dog), chicken food is between 12-20+% (12-16 most often) depending on stage and brand.

Cat food is much higher in protein 20-40+% (25-30 most often)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  3. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Oh I just wondered. It came up in conversation and I didn't know the answer

4. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I've fed my dog cat food when it was taking too long for her to fatten up on dog food. Dog food as a treat is fine if you sold off all the dogs and have the food just laying around...

5. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    dogs and chickens should not have cat food. Cat food contains toxins to most animals other than cats. Cats can eat things no other animal can due to their digestive system. Please have caution.
    I am not sure about dog food.

6. DaveBeaty

DaveBeaty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    New Mexico
    From personal experience, Purina dog chow is fine for chickens. After coyotes got our pug [​IMG](no more small dogs at in-laws place!) I fed 10 pounds of it to my three New Hampshire Reds. I wish they ate squash bugs so well.

7. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i had a cat that developed urinary calcifications/blockages from getting into the dog food. the vet (after an expensive procedure to remove them, because the cat's bladder was about to burst) said that dog food contains more phosphates that cats don't handle well.

that being said, i don't know if it'd be any better or worse than cat food for chickens.

i also have heard cat food is good to boost protein. although, it'd probably be just as easy to add protein supplement to your chicken feed (it'd probably be cheaper, if you can find it near you).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  8. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I feed high protein feed plus oyster shells mixed in. I just had it laying around and just wondered. Plus some of us were talking about whether you could feed it or not.

9. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:Not true at all, there are no toxins in cat food, there is a much higher protein content so it is not good to feed to dog, makes them fat, but NO toxins and I give my chickens soaked dry cat food once in a while as a treat , they Love it and it won't hurt them.

10. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens go crazy over the cat food, and I'm just going crazy over the fact they keep eating it. We feed our cat out on the front porch and the chickens figured out where it was...well that was no fun. But they had no negative affect on them. [​IMG] As for cats eating dog food, I guess I have a problem then. Our fat cat eats about anything she can get, and pushes our dogs (pit mixes) out of the way to get it. They no better then to come between that cat and her food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by