Could it really be cocci? My friends rooster is lethargic and very skinny

AnimalCrazed

Crowing
12 Years
May 1, 2011
Idaho
This is a shot in the dark, but I'm trying to help my friend out. Unfortunately I don't know everything that's going on just what's she's told me but here it is!

Her flock is a year old, 16 hens 1 rooster. The last couple days she's been worried about their watery poop, I believe that's the only symptom she noticed. She decided to treat with corid because she was worried it was cocci its probably been 3 or 4 days since. Today her rooster was lethargic and barely eating and drinking and she found him laying by the water as if he's trying to cool off. I went over and examined him and he's skinny, his breast bone is very prominent and his crop was tight and small, this was at 8pm it should have been nice and full by this time. He seems alert but his tail does droop, and he did peck at the food when offered but I don't think he actually ate. She also told me she had been battling lice and or mites and he did seem to have quite a few on him and the base of his tail had been pecked pretty red from the other chickens either that day or the last few. Her hens are all acting fine to what I can tell, even though I still noticed watery poop from a few of them.

Could this really be cocci and it just hit the rooster harder or is this a complication from treatment? Vitamin deficiency? Lice /mites? Her coop was a bit dusty but everything was dry and her feed was clean... she said she does get a few mice around the coop but not inside that she knows of.

I'm just trying to see if I can get steered in the right direction to help her out. Let me know if I left anything out and I'll try to answer... your best guess is as good as mine!

Lice and mites can take down a chicken quickly if not treated and eliminated. Lice are more of an irritant, mites are deadly. They can cause anemia, then death. Also, he probably needs to be wormed as does the rest of the flock, AND the rest of the flock needs to treated for lice/mites as well. Coops need to be cleaned out and sprayed or dusted with Permethrin to eliminate external parasites. I recommend Valbazen for worming.

The heat is the cause for excessive drinking which can cause watery diarrhea. Boiled rice mixed in feed can slow or stop diarrhea. Avian Super Pack mixed in water can replace lost vitamins and minerals due to the watery diarrhea. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Here's where it can be purchased.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/avian-super-pack-4oz

Back
Top Bottom