Could laying two eggs in one day have caused my easter egger to die?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ladies4, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Ladies4

Ladies4 New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    My 8-month old easter egger recently laid two eggs within an 8-hour span, and then she died 14 hours later. She had never laid two eggs before, seemed very healthy, and had recently been moved into our basement while the temps outside were below zero. We only had two hens left, and now we're down to the last one. She is actually perched on the back of my chair right now, watching me type. She seems to miss her companion, and we are afraid that whatever caused the other's death may repeat itself. Can anyone help?

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Chickens dont lay more than 1 in a 25 hour time period

3. avasgrandma

avasgrandma New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    My buffs that I just got last spring laid more than 1 in 24 hours several times and they are still all living. They just did it for about a week and not every day. Since I only have 3 chickens I know that they were laying more than 1 per day. So I don't think that is what killed your chicken, I'm sorry you lost her.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes. I believe laying the two eggs so close together may have been the problem. Of course, it's just circumstantial.

Last year, my, at the time, one-year old EE appeared to be egg-bound. She had been on the nest trying to lay, then off again, then on again. After that, I saw her in the run, just standing still with her tail held low. I brought her inside and gave her a warm water soak for half an hour. Then I placed her in a crate to rest.

Within the hour, she laid a huge blue egg. I was about to remove her from the crate when I saw she was straining to lay another egg! When it came out, it was membrane only, a shelless egg.

She has always laid very large eggs, and I feared she would continue to have problems, but so far, she hasn't.

I think sometimes a hen may be over-stimulated, by light perhaps, to lay eggs in rapid succession. If this occurs, it increases the risk that eggs can "back up" and cause the hen to become egg-bound, and that can kill her.

The death of your one hen probably has no bearing on whether you will also lose your other hen. Try not to worry. But I'm very sorry you had to lose your young hen.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I've definitely had 2 eggs in 1 day from one hen before. She was alone in a hospital pen, so I am positive it was her.

6. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Wow so strange. I guess I just have always had "by the book" girls lol. This is pretty uncommon though for sure. I bet the 2nd egg was smaller huh?

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Actually, they were both about the same--both size large eggs. One was there at 8:00am when I went out, the other at 5pm when I went out again.

8. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    That poor girl [​IMG]

9. soler

soler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    i have also experienced 2 eggs laid well within 24 hours from a young pullet that was just starting to lay and had actually badly prolapsed with the first egg. She seems ok now, but it took some effort and time for her to get better. Possibly yours experienced internal laying or was egg bound somehow. Was she walking around like a penguin or holding her tail low?

I would reinforce the remaining hen's ratio with calcium and vitamin d in case there is a nutritional deficiency in the food. Usually those two supplements are culprits in egg issues, as long as the chickens are not displaying other health issues. I think your remaining girl needs a buddy, too!

10. Ladies4

Ladies4 New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Our last hen just laid two eggs today, for the second time. She appears to be healthy and doing fine. We're keeping our fingers crossed. Thanks for the feedback.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by