Could my 1588 be running below 99.5F?

BawGock

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Idaho Panhandle, USA
I feel like a real dummy right now. Here's why....

Last month I ran my first hatch in my 1588. I used the glass thermometer that came with it and it showed just under 100F the whole 21 days.
After the first week into it I bought from RadioShack a digital indoor-outdoor thermometer/hygrometer combo, calibrated the hygrometer and it worked just fine.

The thermometer has two sensors one inside it and one on a cable to be used outside your window, if you were using in for your house.
I never paid much mind to the digital thermometer since I bought it for the hygrometer feature, both sensors read anywhere between 99-100, the whole thing was in the incubator so they read pretty close to each other

The directions for the 1588 say the first time around do not make any adjustments to the thermostat control until after you do a hatch.
Well, 10 out of 11 eggs hatched on day 21 and one hatched early on day 22. So, I felt like my 1588 had good settings right from the factory.

Now with this hatch my GQF glass thermometer is reading just under 100 but my digital isn't, it's been reading about between 98-98.5F.
When I added water to the bator today I laid the outdoor sensor right with the eggs and it's reading 98.5F.

I've been foolishly disregarding my digital read out telling myself that my last hatch is proof enough that this 1588 is running at the right temp but now I'm starting to wonder because I have had 5 quitters out of 24 eggs that stopped developing with the chicks about 1/2" long when I candled them on day 10.

My house temperature is even warmer than the last time I hatch so I believe that wouldn't be the cause for it to run cooler.
I've got the 1588 directions right here wondering if I should adjust it, or just let this hatch run it's course and see what happens.
Day 21 is 3/24.
I should have posted this question 2 weeks ago!
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

I'm really mad at myself right now.
Carolyn

Honestly I wouldn't touch it. I ran mine with a digital thermometer just to make sure at 1st and it was spot on at 99.5. I just bought a new one because I needed the hygrometer feature and it reads a whole degree higher. I have used the 'bator for a long time and I know it runs right so I didn't sweat it. It also has my Brinsea running a degree higher as well even though I know it's right because it has its own thermometer built in.
I would bet it's your thermometer that's off and not the incubator. Especially since you have already had a good hatch at the right time with it.
Good Luck
smile.png

Thanks for responding Tricia.
I do worry that I would be opening a whole can of worms trying to adjust it based on what my digital thermometer says.
It enough to drive someone crazy if they let it!
The little glass one is reading like it did before.
Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom