Could my 5 week old Black Swede be a drake?!?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by treldib, Jul 22, 2010.

1. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    My 2 most recent acquisitions from Metzer Farms are a female Golden 300 named Kip (quacks like a REAL female duck) and a female Black Swedish named Ady (They were born on the same day). So far Ady is yet to quack at all and still makes peppy noises. Could it be that Goldens just mature faster in general? Even though Swedes grow up to be larger than the Golden 300's, Kip is definetly larger at the moment. This gives me a bit of hope that Ady is in fact a female. Also...they are both starting to feather out and I am definetly seeing green feathers on her head just like a maturing male mallard. Do female Black Swedes have iridescent green feathers on their head too? I know that Hatcheries can and do make mistakes so...help me out please. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I don't know about your breed, but I can tell you that females don't always start to quack at the same time. I had quacks as early as 4 weeks and as late as 7 weeks in the same flock. You will know when they are 8 weeks what they are for sure.

3. backforty

backforty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2008
    central WI
    My swedish drake started out sounding like a duck. Also he was smaller than the pekin I got with him . Although I dont know what sex the pekin was as it died when it was 4 weeks old. ( darn weird May weather in WI)

4. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Main question...thank you though

5. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I would say that the male will maintain a darker head color. Whether it is tinted green or not depends on the genetics of your duck.

Usually within 3 months you will be able to tell. Also listen for a raspy quack. It's not loud and noisy like the females.

Hope this helps.

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:yep. I lost my barred rock chick in May:(((
    I was in Northern WI

7. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Well at the moment the Golden 300 honks like a goose and the Black Swede chirps like a sparrow lol. Would the size difference already be apparent by this age if she was a Drake? I mean, the duck in question is smaller than a DEFINATE female Golden 300 (a smaller breed than the Swedish) that's the same age! Also, the Golden 300 definetly seems to be higher in the pecking order than Ady, always leads the way, eats first, gets first pick of the grapes I give them, etc. I thought Drakes were dominant. Thanks

8. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:yep. I lost my barred rock chick in May:(((
    I was in Northern WI

[​IMG]

9. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    My 2 Blue Swedes from Metzer are by far the quietest of my 50 ducks. Just this week I heard them for the first time., at 14 weeks..Yours, She (we hope) may take a little longer.. good Luck.

10. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Quote:Main question...thank you though

Most ducks with black feathers will have a green sheen to them, but not turn green like a drake's head. How are yours looking--any pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by