1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could my big girls get sick?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Justhatched, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    A little over a week ago I got some new chicks. I have 12 girls outside already. One of the chicks was sick and so I was giving medication and doing what I could to help "her". One night I woke up and checked on them. She had died. The day before I cleaned the brooder (large rubbermaid type thing). I took it outside and cleaned it with a mild soap (can't remember the brand) rinsed it and dried it. When I was rinsing it I thought " I have a sick chick (all the others are fine) what am I going to do with this water?" So I poured it in the trash can. This is my question: Could my big girls get sick if I let them free range in the area I washed the chick brooder in?" I purchased 6 chicks and only 1 died. The others look great. I noticed the one that died looked sickly when I brought "her" home. Is there anything I could/should do to clean up the area? I believe my sick chick had a respitory problem.

2. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Hopefully it is in an area that gets full sunlight. The UV is a good sanitizer.

I think Coryza can hang around for a few weeks. Others much longer.

Can you put a snow fence or webbing to block off the area for a few weeks. Also, avoid walking through that area.

There is too much "dirt" in dirt to use bleach. The bleach will get neutralized before it has time to kill much. Don't use gasoline and burn. Too much residue is left behind.

Maybe you can cut the grass short and burn clippings in a barrel. However, the lawn mower may do more damage spreading stuff around.

3. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011

It is a dirt area, no grass. It gets a fair amount of sun but I still decided to keep the girls out of it for a while. Thanks.

4. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    That is great to hear. Let the sun an time do the work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by