Could my Buff Orpington/EE mix chick be a roo?

Moxiechick

Songster
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
Maine
I bought a Buff Orpington (Magoo), and a Buff Orpington/EE mix (Mischief) chick last month. They were sold as being 8 weeks old, but after comparing pictures to my older girls at that age, I estimate that they are actually about 8 weeks old now. The mixed chick has a combination straight/pea comb, so I have nothing to compare it to. They are very close in body and leg size, but the comb on the Mischief is growing larger. At the time I picked them out, she didn't have an obviously larger comb than any of her flock mates, in fact, there were some in the group with much larger combs.

Here are some pictures. They weren't cooperating!

Magoo left, Mischief right
47159_mischief_and_magoo_8_weeks.jpg

Mischief's comb. Pinker and larger than Magoo's, but is it just individual variation or rooish?
47159_mischiefs_comb_8_weeks.jpg

Side view. I know those almost look like saddle feathers, but in reality, they don't seem any longer/ more pointy than Magoo's. Some darker red feathering coming in though. Being an EE mix, I'm not sure if this is significant or not.
47159_mischief_hen_or_roo.jpg

Back view
47159_mischiefs_back.jpg

Magoo for comparison. She is being coy in this shot. Did I mention they weren't cooperating?
tongue.png

47159_magoo_being_coy_8_weeks.jpg

Mischief personified!
47159_mischief_face.jpg

Oh yeah, that's a rooster alright. The comb, along with those saddle feathers are a dead giveaway. Also, notice the thicker legs......

I'm opting to be in denial for just a little longer.
hide.gif

Honestly, those saddle feather impersonators are just that! She just was ruffled from recent handling...

Other than the comb, their feathers and leg size are very similar. I'm hoping the large comb is just a result of being a pea/single combo comb. Haha! Combo comb combo...

I think I need to go lie down.
th.gif

I also have a little EE with a big pea/single hybrid comb but really rounded feathers. It's about 11 weeks old and I'm getting more roo votes than pullets, but both sides seem very emphatic. I hope for both our cases that they're pullets!

Quote:
I have some ocean front property on the other side of our farm for sale, interested? Guaranteed to be cow pie free!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Haha I keep doing the same thing! I figure I can enjoy the denial atleast until they crow!!
lau.gif
that is.... if they even crow at all
hide.gif

Hi! I know that this is an old thread but I also have a rooster Buff orpington and ee mix. I also have a female one. The male is Reno and the female is Ronnie. Reno is just the sweetest thing! This a picture of him next to his "sister" Mintz. She is a Barred rock and ee mix. Reno (left) Mintz (right) Age: 6-8 weeks in picture

A099685F-0A47-44DC-873B-0E7ABA1CF4B5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom