could my chicken be trying to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by little blue, Jul 31, 2010.

1. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    we got this chicken about 6 weeks ago she had 4 baby chicks about 5 weeks old she chased them off about 4 weeks ago an started laying eggs for us.yesterday we did not collect her egg was out all day an today my daughter went down to get the egg an she was sitting on it squiking at her an puffing out.we have 3 roos the 2 oldest are about 12 weeks old would her eggs even be fertile with young roos like that i took picks of each roo please any suggestions.
    [​IMG]
    here is mama rose
    [​IMG]
    another pic of rose
    [​IMG]
    our blue orp roo scobby 2
    [​IMG]
    our black orp roo blackberry

2. txliss

txliss Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    I don't have roos, so don't know about fertile eggs, but you definitely have a broody on your hands! Congratulations! [​IMG]
    I only have hens, but my BO (Hedwig) is absolutely determined to hatch out the golf balls in her nest. Lil stinker [​IMG]

3. little blue

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    i know she is broody but i dont know if i should let her sit on the eggs if there is no chance they are fertile.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi, Yes she is broody again.

I don't think your teenage boys will be old enough to have fertilised any eggs for her yet, though.

I would buy or beg some fertile eggs and let her have ones that will hatch,

Good luck,

Sandie

5. little blue

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    just got her 4 orp an 2silkie eggs to hatch cant wait to see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by