Could my chickens be taking turns laying eggs?

drymanhattan

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2015
Westchester, New York
I have three hens who are now all laying, but there has never been more than one egg a day. What is the explanation for this other than that they are taking turns? They are a Rhode Island Red, Rhode Island White, and Buff Orpington, with a hapless Polish rooster.

They look the same to me. Same color and at least very close in size. They have appeared in each of the three nest boxes. All three hens have red crops and are being mounted by the rooster. I should add one other observation -- the Rhode Island White, which was the first (I assumed) to lay, was initially the largest bird in the flock. Now I believe she's the smallest. She is also by far the most enthusiastic eater. Is it possible that she alone is responsible for all of these eggs? This latest run was six days in a row!

I let them out most days for an hour or so before sunset. The other day there was a ruckus. The rooster was leading the egg song and they were all hanging out in some brambles for a long time. I never did find an egg but didn't investigate very hard either.

Ok. I was just making sure because sometime one roo will try to mate another roo to sho dominance and the roos that aren't dominate sometimes will not crow because they're not the ones in charge. I'm a little new to this too so all I can tell you is what I've been through. Maybe someone else can answer. Good luck.

They look the same to me. Same color and at least very close in size. They have appeared in each of the three nest boxes. All three hens have red crops and are being mounted by the rooster. I should add one other observation -- the Rhode Island White, which was the first (I assumed) to lay, was initially the largest bird in the flock. Now I believe she's the smallest. She is also by far the most enthusiastic eater. Is it possible that she alone is responsible for all of these eggs? This latest run was six days in a row!

I let them out most days for an hour or so before sunset. The other day there was a ruckus. The rooster was leading the egg song and they were all hanging out in some brambles for a long time. I never did find an egg but didn't investigate very hard either.

I only have one bird laying, a leghorn, my ancona still has a relatively pale comb, yesterday might have changed that, but the leghorn has laid up to yesterday, 34 straight days. Seems very possible you have only one bird laying.

Back
Top Bottom