Could my chickens have too much light?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChicksR4Me, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My chickens are 17 weeks old so I know they are too young to be laying but I've had a light on in the coop to keep the water from freezing. The light has been on all the time otherwise the water freezes over. Can they be getting too much light? The come inside as soon as it gets dark outside and are roosting shortly after. I have 15 Isa Browns, 5 RIR, and 3 Calif Leghorns. 2 of the RIR are Male I'm just not sure if I should be turning the light off at night and just changing the water every morning.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

ChicksR4Me,
    When I first got hens about 6 years ago, I knew nothing about chickens. I was told by another person with chickens that it was better to provide no light or light 24/7. (Doesn't exactly make sense to me now) I have had a light in the coop ever since except for 1 week in 2006 when I was without power after a storm. I don't think it's ever been a problem.

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I've not had chickens for all that long either but from what I've read you can keep a heat lamp over your waterer to keep it from freezing but it should be the kind that's red and not the white light. They also make heated bases for the metal waterers and have several different heated plastic waterers out now as well as heated buckets used for horses and such.
    Keeping lights on 24/7 doesn't let them rest like they should. People do keep lights on them when the shorter days are here so that they are like the longer days when they lay more but other than that the lights are off or very dim so they can roost as usual in nature and it doesn't stress them.
    HTH.

4. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    One thing that I read in here is that chickens tend to pick when they have constant light and I witnessed this when I have had my shoplight on in the barn after sundown when I have been working on projects for them or loading supplies after dark. Not all will pick but I do have two girls who tend to be nasty in the light, my Buff Brahma and one of my Buff Orpingtons.

5. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    I have a infra red heat bulb in my coop 24/7 to keep them warm. It cost more per month but they also sleep and don't fight and continue laying. I think you can buy them in different wattage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by