1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could my duck have bumble foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1duckMom, Aug 25, 2013.

1. 1duckMom

1duckMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    LaFayette, Ga
    Hi. I noticed a small area of swelling on the middle tor if my duck. It looks as though it cracked across it and there is a tiny one closer to her nail. She has started limping so I know it's bothering her but I don't see any scab like other pictures I've seen. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you post a photo? It is certainly possible that she has a mild case of bumblefoot.

3. 1duckMom

Aug 2, 2013
    LaFayette, Ga
    Sorry it was difficult keeping her still enough for a good picture. ;) hope you can tell from this. Also her feet and legs are peeling, not sure i it has anything to do with it. And she walks around the house on tile most of the day and has shavings in her cage at night. I'm not sure if either of those have caused it.
    Thanks again for your advice and help! :)[​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That does not look like bumblefoot. It almost appears/sounds like your ducks feet and legs are getting dry and cracked (kind of like human hands). I would rub some Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly), and/or some antibiotic ointment on her legs and feet. However, I admit that I am not a duck expert, so my idea for treatment and the cause could be wrong. Hopefully someone with more duck experience will chime in!

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

from the description it sounds as if the duck is a house duck?.. if so.. what are you using to clean your floors?.. certain detergents can dry out their skin like that (if not well rinsed) and also cause "blisters".. do you allow her to go out in the mud?.. if not it's something to consider.. I would use something a bit more breathable than Vaseline.. but for starters do you have any Neosporin (without the painkiller)?.. if so massage some of that into her feet and legs.. once healed .. invest in some coconut oil and give her an occasional foot rub

6. 1duckMom

Aug 2, 2013
    LaFayette, Ga
    Sorry should have clarified, but yes, she's a house duck. We found her abandoned and now she is imprinted on us. Maybe it is the floor cleaner, I use swiffer wet jet daily and steam the floors weekly. I have been rubbing neosporin on the bottom of her foot but I will try the coconut oil. Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by