Could my eggs be fertile?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PoultryBird12, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Have four pekins and two mallards.... all are hens except for one of the mallards. Lately I have been seeing that the feathers on the back some of the hen's necks are ruffled/being pulled out. I heard that drakes do this when they are trying to fertilize the eggs... I know, this is a really weird question.... just hoping somebody in this big, wide world will not mind my questions and answer them!

After I saw the neck thing.... I noticed that the pekin hens are laying A LOT more than they have ever! (They are not quite a year old). They have laid about five eggs in the last two days... where just a month ago they were laying about one egg every week or less. So I was wondering if this means that the eggs are fertilized and that I should collect them and incubate them?

Thanks for your help... HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE Y'ALL!

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Have you seen them mating?

3. I have about a week ago seen the drake get on top of one of the pekins and wiggle his tail and bite her neck.... I wasn't sure what he was doing, though... :|

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The simplest approach here is to crack a couple of them and examine the germinal disc for indication of being fertile. If you are unfamiliar with this, post photos of the eggs you have cracked (you are looking at white disc on the yolk) and we can assist you. If the eggs cracked and examined are fertile, it's time to gather and set. You can also skip that step and simply set some eggs and candle once development would be visible.

1 person likes this.
  5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I would say a possibility that you have babies waiting to happen. Good luck if you choose to hatch them.:)

6. Yeah... I'll do that.. :) some of them were already cracked from expanding in the cold so I'll just break them open and take some photos. ;)

7. Sorry this is a little late... :) This is a Pekin egg I found this morning in my coop. Could the red dot on the yolk be a fertilization spot?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by