1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could my hen be a cock??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PaulaG, Dec 17, 2011.

1. PaulaG

PaulaG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I have 3 chickens that are approx 6 months old.

2 are laying and 1 is not (which i am not worriess about due to a previous question and help from you guys on here!)

However, it occured to me that the 1 not laying could be a cock. Her comb is a lot bigger than the other 2 and brighter, I have checked today and she has little buds on the back of her legs but so do the others and i have read that all chickens have this but it is only the cock's that develope into spurs (is this correct)

It doesnt crow. They all cluck and cackle but all chickens do! [​IMG]

Is there any way i can tell for sure. I am very new to chicken keeping so dont have a clue really!! [​IMG]

Thanks

2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    its possible , A picture would really help. [​IMG] Yes a hen can grow full blown spurs sometimes. but it takes a while.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    X2
    A pic would really help. What breed are they? Most of the times, you can see noticable differences between the sexes.
    You can't go by the spur stubs, most all have them.
    Have you seen a difference in the feathers on the neck and hips? If they are pointier at the ends, most likely a roo.

4. PaulaG

Oct 23, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    There is a pic on my profile. its the light sussex

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    If that's a recent picture then that's a hen, but the pic is very small. Any chance of a bigger one?

6. PaulaG

Oct 23, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I took that this morning but will try and attach another

7. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:I can't tell anything by that picture either, sorry my old eyes just ain't that good anymore. A larger one would really work better. [​IMG]

8. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Thankyou. [​IMG]

9. PaulaG

Oct 23, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    How do I add an image?

10. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Click on "uploads" on the blue bar at the top of the page. Choose your image and upload it then select the [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by