Could my hen have eaten her chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mothersin2ition, Jul 19, 2010.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    We had a failed hatch this week. On day 21 I discovered two dead chicks, and one completely clean hatched eggshell, with NO chick to be seen anywhere. The rest of the eggs failed to hatch (I suspect mama was sitting on too many eggs and along with some other unfortunate circumstances, it caused them to quit developing). The thing Im curious about is what happened to that chick? THere was definitely a hatch- the shell was perfectly clean and zipped open. No blood to be seen. The chicken tractor where she sets is predator proof- no way for even a snake to get in. My husband thinks she may have eaten it? I was not under the impressions that hens would eat their young like some other animals will. Anyone have any ideas? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It's a very real possibility that the hen killed and ate the chick.

3. thornwing

thornwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    So. California
    In the past I have had other hens or roosters peek their heads in, pull out the chick, and, disturbingly, run around the coop as if it were a tastey peice of food and try to protect it from others. Also, maybe it got burried under the hay or nesting materials? Also, maybe rats? Not sure

4. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    hmm interesting. Im pretty sure it wasnt buried in the shavings since we checked very thoroughly. I dont think a rat could have gotten in either. So strange! ?Thanks for the input though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by