Could my Maran be sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rehric00, Aug 13, 2013.

1. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi! I have a few BCMs and one is not acting right. It's early evening and she is already in the coop sleeping, then outside in a strange spot sleeping, she didnt care that I picked her up, fell asleep in my arms, I turned her upside down to check her out, she fell asleep. I even held her like a baby, one handed and it didnt phase her, again she fell asleep (all others would flip out). The only thing I noticed was flaky skin, similar to dandruff. I thought she kinda smelled bad too, but could have just been a coincidence. Her vent looked fine. I isolated her just in case... And again she's just sleeping. She's about 22-23 weeks old and not laying yet (to my knowledge)...something just doesn't seem right..? Am I being over worried?

2. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    Anybody have a clue? I'm worried about her :(

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Do you live in Australia? Paralysis tick is a pretty long shot, though...

Yes, she sounds sick to me.

It would help anyone who comes along make a diagnosis if you could answer a few questions, for example:
    1. Has she lost weight?
    2. Is her crop hard and distended or just full, or is it empty?
    3. What do her poops look like?
    4. Is she eating and drinking normally?
    5. What does she move around like?
    6. Is her abdomen distended?
    7. Is her crest pale and floppy or normal?
    8. When you're holding her in your hand, does she react when you put a finger or two under her foot, or does she allow you to manipulate her like a doll?

I'm sorry, she sounds pretty crook. Hope someone can make a diagnosis that results in a positive outcome ASAP. Best wishes.

4. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    No, northern IN. She seems better today. She is moreactive. Its hard to answer some of those questions because I just noticed last night. She is not liking seclusion today and wants out, contrary to last night she didn't care either way. I'm gonna keep her in the small coop one more night. But she seems to be doing better...

5. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Mine walks around then plops down for a few minutes

6. GasMenagerie

GasMenagerie Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    California Foothills
    My Wheaten Maran rooster (about three months old) is doing the same thing today. Just started this afternoon. He snubbed my mealworms even. I will have to capture him and give him the once-over if it doesn't perk up in a couple hours.

7. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Well, here's hoping it's a short term virus, then, or something like that. Best wishes.

8. GasMenagerie

GasMenagerie Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    California Foothills
    He didn't come out of the coop this morning and one of his eyes is crusted shut. The other has some discharge. He is now in quarantine. Anyone have an idea of what this is and if I should try to treat it?

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It might be a respiratory disease. Give him electrolytes and probiotics in his water, and keep him warm. If he doesn't have a very good appetite, try to entice him into eating with scrambled eggs, applesauce, yogurt, and moistened chicken feed.

You should also get some antibiotics. Tylan50 and Tylan200 are two good antibiotics for respiratory diseases. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for an average five-pound chicken, and .5ccs for a bantam (less than two pounds), injected into the breast muscle daily using a small needle for 5 days. The dosage for Tylan200 is .5ccs for a large fowl, and .1-.2ccs for a bantam. Tylan50 is probably the better idea, as it is less potent, and less dangerous for using on chickens.

Hope this helps! Watch out for your other birds; if they show the same symptoms, treat them too.

10. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    My littlw girl was fine today. I let her back out into the big coop. She was happy to be free :) I'm th inking she was just exhausted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by