Could my Phoenix hen be broody?

JPinVT

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Vermont
My flock free-ranges, and for the past 3 days, Emmy the Phoenix hen has been disappearing for most of the day including at night - she doesn't go into the coop to roost with everyone else. I thought she had been taken by a predator, but my husband saw her outside the coop yesterday afternoon, so I know she's still around, but she was gone again by the time I got home from work. Could she be broody in the woods somewhere? If so, should I be worried that she was off the nest for about at least half an hour yesterday?

She could be broody. You should try to find her nest and move her and the nest into a separate "broody box" w/small pen so she will stay on the eggs. It is OK for her to get off the nest for a while each day (in fact she should in order to eat/drink and poop). It is usually best to make the move just before dark. Good luck!

I'll have to try to find her this weekend. We have 11 acres of woods... and that's just our property - we're surrounded by probably 200 acres of woods. But I'll give it a shot for sure!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom