1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could my Pullet be a Rooster??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gertie, May 6, 2009.

1. gertie

gertie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    I've had 2 barred rock hens for 2 years now. So I kinda know how they should sound and look like.

Recently, I bought 2 new barred rock pullets at 8 weeks of age. They are now 14 weeks old. One of them honks like a goose and it's tail feathers are clumped together..unlike it's sister who sounds just like my other hens and her tail feathers are curving up and over her back.

I'm so worried that that one could be a rooster. After all the work i've done to temporarily separate them from their elders. And he, if it is a he, is so sweet and loves me back. And I got the two new ones so they could be friends. I don't know if I could give him up due to the noise factor---complaints from neighbors...

Do you think she is a he??

Thanx!!

We love our girls: Millie, Tillie, Gertie, & Flo (or Fred)

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Is there any way you can post a pic? You don't mention the comb or color, either. There should be a definite difference by now.

Shelly

3. gertie

Apr 8, 2009
    both of the 14 week olds have about a 1/4 inch high comb, still orangish in color. They look a like.

thanx

4. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like they are both pullets. [​IMG] Without a pic, it's almost impossible to tell, but since you said they look alike, sounds like girls. Barred Rocks would have a bigger and much redder comb by now. [​IMG] The one just might have some funky feathers on her tail.

Shelly

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. gertie

Apr 8, 2009
    I meant that the combs look alike.

But, one honks and it's tail feathers are not arching up and over the back...

I'll try and get some pictures today...

thanx again

6. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Anythings possible. I've now had 4 pullets turn out to be roos. [​IMG]

My BRs are both girls and I only have 2, but I thought the BR roos were different in coloring. Like the hens are more black with white bars and the roos more white with black bars. Anyone know?

I have 2 EE/BB Xs that for 6 mnths at least they looked so different that I swore one had to be a roo. Nope, both pullets and they now look identical.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The BR pullets are darker and have more definite barring. The roos are more gray and not so well defined.

Shelly

8. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Without overlapping on your thread....[​IMG] I have a picture here of 2 of my Dom...that I suspect one might be a roo? I managed to get them to ''pose'' for me....[​IMG]
    They look so much like BR's that maybe you can see the difference ? I was told the one with the more pronounced color , comb and wattles might be a roo. So hope this helps?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by