Could my RIR be egg bound?

grumpma1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 28, 2014
My little girl has poop on her bottom. Seems to be bottom heavy. Her comb is not as pretty as the others. She seems OK. I have 10 little girls but I am only getting 8 to 9 eggs daily which leads me to think there might be a problem. What do you think.

She would probably be frequently visiting the nest with no result if she were egg bound. She wouldn't seem normal either. They either pass the egg or pass away in a few days.

Feel her lower abdomen, does it feel bloated or swollen? Sometimes birds who develop ascites also have runny stool that sticks to the feathers around the vent. Vent gleet can also cause swelling around the vent and is usually accompanied by a smelly discharge that leaves the feathers around the vent sticky and wet.
Worms can also be a cause of runny poop and dirty backsides.

Last edited:
That can be many things including worms or clostridial bacteria.
I recommend finding a vet that will do a fecal sample on a chicken. Many say they can't but a fecal sample is a fecal sample. They all should be able to. I had to call about 20 vets before I found one willing to read one which involved a 2 .5 hour round trip.
Most of the local ones didn't want to do it or wanted to see the 'patient'.

Not having any luck finding a vet. Today she doesn't want to even move. Is she a threat to my other little girls? Can I give her something that will help whether it be worms or clostridial bacteria?

If she's sick then she's likely a threat. It depends on what's wrong with her. The last bird I had like that actually had cancer. By the time they don't want to move, they're very sick. If she's been sick a while, then they've already been exposed.
Nothing will treat worms AND bacteria. It could also be a viral infection. I just said clostridia because that's what mine had. It could be dozens of things.
If one bird in a flock has worms, they all probably have some. That said, a healthy chicken can handle a light load of parasites with no problem.

How old are all the birds?

Many of the things that can afflict chickens have no effective treatment.

Go on google, enter your zip code, click on the map on the right, hit 'search nearby' and type veterinarian. Start calling every one starting with the closest till you find one that will do a fecal sample.

Last edited:
My girls are 9 months old. Thanks for the post. Do you think giving her a bath and cleaning up her back side might help?

I would probably give her a bath. Because you wouldn't know if she still has diarrhea without doing so.
Make sure the water is quite warm, and palpitate her abdomen feeling for anything abnormal.
Then put her in a warm place to completely dry off. I have a fairly big cage I put birds in after a bath. I put the cage in the basement, a hot dry towel on the bottom and a heat lamp or blow dryer till they're dry.

ETA
8 to 9 eggs a day from 10 pullets is quite normal, in fact quite prolific this time of year.
With a 9 month old flock, I rarely get an egg from every bird in a day. It takes at least 26 hours from laying an egg to get the next one, that means even with ideal lay rate, there will always be some not laying in a particular day. Laying gets later each day till they skip a day, then the next several eggs come in the morning.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments. I just gave her a warm bath and put some vasiline on her bottom. Now that she is clean I see she has no feathers on her bottom. Have a warm towel he with her. I will see how the day goes. Again thanks. Grumpma

Back
Top Bottom