Could my rooster be trying to mate already?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kemclaughlin, Jun 24, 2011.

1. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    My rooster will be 14 weeks on Monday. Could he already be trying to mount one of my pullets? They are not laying yet. The one he was after is red sex-link but she's only going to be 13 weeks on Monday? At first I thought they were chasing each other for a treat, but he was trying to grab her by the feathers at the base of her neck and there was no treat. He tried to corner her too. Can he even successfully mate her? Will he force her and injure her? He is not generally aggressive. I can't keep him, and I am keeping chickens for eggs, so if he is being mean, I won't pass him on, I will cull. No one wants a rooster who is already mean to hens at this age.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    He is not being mean, he is following his instincts. He is maturing, the pullets are not, so he has a dilemma. What's a confused frustrated adolescent to do?

Since it bothers you and you can't keep him anyway, I'd suggest you go ahead and get rid of him. The situation will not change any time in the near future.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Mine was 10 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by