Could my rooster have pulled a neck muscle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Atlas LaHaye, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Atlas LaHaye

Atlas LaHaye Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Hello
    Earlier I found my rooster sick, and I thought he was dehydrated, but now I think he pulled a muscle in his neck.

He can stand up and walk (not long), but is neck arches under him, he can get it to come off the ground but it will stay arched, I can straighten it to water him and help him walk, he also is not eaten, he is drinking though, but I have to give him water by spoon, and is face feel really hot, is there anything I can do to help him? I am putting sugar in his water.

Thanks in advance for you help.
    Atlas

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Are you sure its not been broken in some sort of freak accident? they can live if its not a fatal break. If he just pulled a mucle he would be able to go on with life. [​IMG] Thats just really odd. Did a tendon snap or something? Hmmm. I hope some one can help more than i did.

3. Atlas LaHaye

Jun 19, 2010
    No I don't think its broke, if he broke it would he be able to move it still?

4. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Idk. Not for very long if at all. How old is he?

5. Atlas LaHaye

Jun 19, 2010
    He is about a year old. He made it the night, he did get up and move, but his head is still very hot, and he neck is still bent.

6. ChksontheRun

ChksontheRun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Central Virginia
    Take a look at this link. There are some great pictures that may help identify what might be wrong with your chicken. Sounds a little like what this chicken had which is botulism. There is excelent information about treatment with molassas to help flush her system, but it needs to be done soon to save her. Hope all goes well and your little one recovers quickly.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=219553

7. Atlas LaHaye

Jun 19, 2010
    That is just what he looks like! thank you so much for the links I will start treating him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by