Could my run be a slug Diner?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kitchenella, May 15, 2009.

1. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Hi,

I have 3 hens. They have a 3x3x2.5 coop and a 2.5x14 ft run. Right now the run is just dirt. I have noticed that the run doesn't seem to get full of poop. I think I've figured out why. We are in Israel in the Judean hiills and have large black slugs here. I have been noticing that the run is all slimy with their trails in the morning. I just googled 'what do slugs eat' and evidently some of them eat animal excrement. Has anyone else seen this?

I'm planning to dig out the run and fill it with about 8" depth sand. I wonder if the slugs will still do the job with a sand floor.?

Peggy

Who wasn't sure to which category this belonged.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    That is very interesting! I never knew that's what slugs ate! I would think that even with sand they would still do the same, as long as there is chicken poop there!

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    The slugs may not like the feel of sand, and not cross it to nibble, I know putting out coarse sand is supposed to keep them out of flower beds. If they're content to clean the coop for you, I say let them. Are the chickens snacking on the slugs?

4. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Yes, they do snack when they can find one. The problem with not putting down the sand is in the winter when we have the rainy season the dirt, which is very claylike, turns to very sticky mud. The coop gets really nasty.

Peggy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by