Could my Serama hen be sick from laying too big of an egg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ICallMyselfCherie', Dec 19, 2011.

1. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, everyone. I have another thread about my sick serama hen going on right now, but this is a separate question.

This hen of mine has a dark comb, is all huddled, very thin, and has a scab all around her bum. Somebody in her cage of three hens plus a roo was laying eggs too large for a serama for a few days a week or so ago. It must have been her. She also has something very strange with her tongue going on, you can read about it and more about her here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=610718

Anyways, she has always seemed very healthy. Is there any chance that the dark comb and huddling are to do with the scab on her bum? I keep cleaning it because it has gotten very constricted with the scab closing in (since scabs do not have elasticity like normal skin) and she's having trouble with pasty butt. She's here next to me, and she keeps making these squirting sounds like she has diarrhea, but very little comes out. Sorry that I must be so graphic, but I've got to get the facts across. [​IMG]

So ultimately, do you think her problems could be from laying too large of an egg?

2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    can you post pic of bum. It could be a yeast infestion.

3. ICallMyselfCherie'

Okay, I'll clean her up again and then post! Thank you for your reply!

4. ICallMyselfCherie'

Okay, here are pics. Sorry about the low resolution, someone else has my camera right now and I have to use the computer on my Mac.

Anyways, the stuff that looks like poop ISN'T. It is actually a scab or something that is attached to the skin. Otherwise, it is clean. Some of the scab came off when I was cleaning her, but there is still a lot left as you can see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    My 2 Serama girls get some of that going on too, although they don't have any other issues/symptoms and only one of them lays eggs at this point. I check their bottoms and have to pull off dry poo stuff directly off their skin a couple times a week. I use some olive oil if it won't come off easily. The vent skin was looking real dry/cracked too, until I started putting the thick white diaper rash ointment for babies (like Desitin) on them around the vent area and it seems to help soften it up and make it look better. Wish I could help you out more, but I'm really new to Seramas. They sure are fun/sweet though.

6. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Does she have a bad odor coming from there? Not the normal poop smell. Have you tried giving her some yogurt? Might want to do a search on Glet on here. Its really hard to see from the pictures.

7. ICallMyselfCherie'

Hi, everyone. It has been a long time since I've posted about this and I thought my hen was getting better. It's really weird because . . . well, it's like her bum hole is . . . getting smaller. I don't know how else to put it.

There isn't any worse a smell than normal poo. Her poo is really smelly, probably more so than usual, but not from just her butt. But it's so strange . . . it is as though her body thinks her bum is a wound and it's trying to seal it up! It always has a scab around it, and as time has gone on the scab has gotten smaller and smaller and smaller, and even when I clean it and open it up a little it's still bizarrely tiny compared to the usual chicken-butt size. I know this sounds like a joke, but it's not! [​IMG]

For a while her comb was getting back to a normal color, and now it's going back to being darker again. She's also too thin, although she is still eating and drinking. I don't know what to do.

8. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    Another idea could be mites. Mine got Northern Fowl mites around their vent area and it caused some scabbing . They are really hard to see (tiny and gray) and I could only see them around the silkied one's vent. I dusted them with Permethrin dust 3 times over the course of 3 weeks, as well as their sleeping areas, and it still didn't get rid of them. I used a drop of Eprinex on the backs of their necks and now it seems the mites are gone, but not sure for how long. Mites can cause them to get thin/anemic too. Not saying that's the problem for your girl, just throwing ideas out. I'd still say to keep the vent area moisturized/softened like with the diaper rash ointment or some kind of oil, too. Hope she gets better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by