Could my Silkie be laying???

socalchicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Temecula Valley, CA
So, I got my first egg yesterday and another one today! Yea!
big_smile.png
!

I assumed it was one of RIRs who looks very mature. Both eggs are a light beige color and really small. I heard that sometimes the first eggs are smaller than normal so I didn't think much of it.

But, this morning when I went to check for eggs all the girls were out in the run. One of my Silkies, Lucy- who is normally very skiddish and runs from me- came into the coop and was very concerned about the egg and what I was doing. She was very friendly and came right up to me, but was concerned about the egg. So, now I'm thinking that Lucy is the one laying and those are bantam eggs.

All my girls are 23 weeks. I always thought that Silkies were late layers so I wasn't expecting them to lay for a few more weeks. Is it totally unheard of for Silkies to lay at 23 weeks? Could Lucy be the good girl that's giving me eggs?!

Ok, here is a picture of my egg next to a store bought:

img_1077.jpg

Th one on the left is my egg, the one on the right is a store bought egg. I'm thinking its a bantam, but I've never seen one before so I'm not sure!

Ok, I just got another egg! There has to be more than one girl laying! That's the 3rd egg in 2 days!
yippiechickie.gif

The one this evening is slightly bigger than the other two and a little bit more of a pinkish brown. Its got to be either the two silkies or the two RIRs. I also have an EE, but I doubt if its her!

Back
Top Bottom